Jon Jones Injures Left Leg, Pulls Out Of UFC 178 Against Daniel Cormier
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | August 14, 2014 1:44 PM EST
It was the perfect setup: an established UFC star to face an undefeated Olympian and a pre-fight melee to hype up the forthcoming battle.
Then, it all came to a thud when the UFC world was rocked with the announcement that Jon Jones will have to withdraw for the scheduled main event of UFC 178 against Daniel Cormier after suffering a leg injury during training.
Just a week ago, the MMA world was abuzz of the upcoming fight between Jones and Cormier on Sept. 27 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. This came after the light heavyweight champion got into a brawl with the contender during a photo shoot in Las Vegas. Cooler heads prevailed and they have appeared to have moved on and focused on the upcoming sanctioned fight.
Jones did that and went back to training but suffered a leg injury that will sideline the defending champion and move the fight to a conservative date of Jan. 3, 2015, tentatively called UFC 182. Cormier, who replaced Alexander Gustaffson will still be able to keep his spot after the said brawl generated much publicity for the fight as revealed by UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta.
The said changes in the schedule were announced Tuesday through FOX Sports 1 on the show "America's Pregame."
The same program revealed that it was a combination of an ankle and leg injury with suspected torn meniscus as the main cause of his exclusion from the upcoming fight. Although said injuries are not extremely damaging that it would require major surgery, still, the team of Jones is using precaution in fielding in their ward.
This now leaves UFC 178 very bare and needing some more big names to entice viewers and fans of the sports to still come. Flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson has already pulled out from his match-up in UFC 177 and he will be slated in the main event slot vacated by Jones and Cormier. Johnson will face Chris Cariaso in a catch weight of 125 pounds.
Due to the said alterations, the UFC has already advised customers who have purchased tickets to the fight that they can avail of a refund up until Aug. 22.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28