'Game of Thrones' Season 5: Five Things to Know About The Waif, The Strange Girl in the House of Black and White
By Riza Ornos | August 14, 2014 1:36 PM EST
Currently on production for the show's fifth season, HBO's epic fantasy series "Game of Thrones" is packed with new characters including a Braavosi who will play a major part in Arya's life. Known as a "very pale" character in the books, The Waif is reportedly to be played by an actress with East Asian descent.
Actress Maisie Williams from the HBO series "Game of Thrones", arrives at the AFI Awards 2013 honoring excellence in film and television in Beverly Hills, California January 10, 2014.
Here are the five things to know about The Waif taken from Ice and Fire Wiki.
1. A priest of the Many-Faced God in the House of Black and White, The Waif is known for wearing a robe with a hood of black on the right side and white on the left side.
2. She never gives out her name and although she may appear like a young girl she is 36-years-old. She looks like a pale little girl with a skinny face and big dark eyes.
3. Her father's only heir, The Waif was only six-years-old when her father remarried after her mother's death and it was her stepmother who took care of her until she gave birth with her own child. She then wanted her to die so her daughter would inherit the waif's father's wealth.
4. Her stepmother tried to poison her and in return her father would have to offer a sacrifice, two-thirds of his wealth and The Waif, for his wife to receive the gift of the god, which is equivalent to death.
5. Assigned to teach Arya the tongue of Braavos, The Waif knows how to detect lies and loves to play the lying game. In return for teaching her the new language, Arya teaches her the Common Tongue of Westeros.
Other characters who will play a major part of season 5 are the bastard daughters of Prince Oberyn Martell, the Sand Snakes. Three of his daughters will be played by "Whale Rider" star Keisha Castle-Hughes as Obara Sand, Jessica Henwick as Nymeria and Rosabell Laurenti Sellers as the youngest, Tyene Sand.
Described as a "fearsome warrior," Obara is the eldest of the Red Viper's eight daughters whom he fathered on a prostitute in Oldtown. Her father made her chose a weapon between the spear and the tears, and she picked the spear which made her mother very upset and drank herself to death within a year after she chose to live with her father.
To contact the editor, e-mail: