2014 Cincinnati Masters Men's Singles Round 2 Matches’ Results
By Rachelle Corpuz | August 14, 2014 1:34 PM EST
Roger Federer and Andy Murray are among the tennis athletes who have advanced into the third round at the 2014 Western & Southern Open (Cincinnati Masters/Open) with relative ease on Aug. 13.
Eight-seeded Murray started strong and finished 37-ranked Joao Sousa in straight sets in just 71 minutes. Murray will face John Isner in the third round. Big-serving American athlete Isner defeated Marinko Matosevic.
Roger Federer of Switzerland acknowledges spectators after winning his men's singles match against Diego Sebastian Schwartzman of Argentina at the French Open tennis tournament at the Roland Garros stadium in Paris May 28, 2014. REUTERS/Jean-Paul Pelissier
Russia's Mikhail Youzhny dismantled the 2014 Rogers Cup champion Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in straight sets. It was reportedly Youzhny's 12th win of the season. Tsonga admitted that he gave everything on court but just didn't manage to compete at a "good level."
Meanwhile, fourth-seeded Tomas Berdych suffered an early exit after losing to Taiwan's Yen-Hsun Lu. Lu had avenged his three sets loss to Berdych in Toronto to make him advance to the third round for the first time in Cincinnati.
Jerzy Janowicz of Poland crushed Bulgaria's top-ranked athlete Grigor Dimitrov. Janowicz scored the first break of the match. Dimitrov fought back in the second set, but Janowicz finished with a love game to snag the victory. He will face France's Julien Benneteau, who defeated the British No. 3 James Ward. Ward is expected to move up into the top 140 of the world rankings despite the loss, according to Sports Mole.
Spanish athlete Tommy Robredo will face Novak Djokovic in the third round after beating American Sam Querrey.
Italy's Fabio Fagnini beat Lleyton Hewitt, who is highest-ranked Australian athlete at 42 in the current Association of Tennis Professionals' (ATP) world rankings.
Tennis great Federer has also taken a step up the ladder in his bid to win a sixth Cincinnati title by beating Canada's Vasek Pospisil.
Coming off from a satisfactory performance in Toronto, Marin Cilic of Croatia defeated Fernando Verdasco of Spain. Cilic will face Stanislas Wawrinka next.
Spain's David Ferrer has claimed his 150th win at the ATP World Tour Masters Level against Philipp Kohlschreiber. Ferrer's win was also his 40th win in the current season, ATP World Tour reported.
Lastly, American wild card Steve Johnson has shocked ninth-seeded and 13th-ranked Ernests Gulbis. Tennis World reported that the duo had previously battled each other at the 2012 US Open, which was also won by the American.
Results from the Men's Singles Round 2 Matches
Steve Johnson (U.S.) beat 9-Ernests Gulbis (Latvia) 6-4 6-4
David Ferrer (Spain) beat Philipp Kohlschreiber (Germany) 6-7(4) 7-6(4) 7-6(4)
Marin Cilic (Croatia) beat Fernando Verdasco (Spain) 7-6(6) 7-6(5)
Roger Federer (Switzerland) beat Vasek Pospisil (Canada) 7-6(4) 5-7 6-2
Fabio Fognini (Italy) beat Lleyton Hewitt (Australia) 6-1 6-4
John Isner (U.S.) beat Marinko Matosevic (Australia) 6-3 7-6(1)
Tommy Robredo (Spain) beat Sam Querrey (U.S.) 6-2 6-4
Julien Benneteau (France) beat James Ward (Britain) 6-2 6-2
Jerzy Janowicz (Poland) beat 7-Grigor Dimitrov (Bulgaria) 6-4 3-6 6-3
Lu Yen-Hsun (Taiwan) beat 4-Tomas Berdych (Czech Republic) 3-6 6-3 6-4
Mikhail Youzhny (Russia) beat Andreas Seppi (Italy) 6-3 6-4
Andy Murray (Britain) beat Joao Sousa (Portugal) 6-3 6-3
Visit cincytennis.com for more news and updates about the 2014 Western & Southern Open
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?