NSW Premier Neville Wran’s Daughter Arrested in Murder Case
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | August 14, 2014 12:25 PM EST
Deceased NSW premier Neville Wran's daughter Harriet was arrested in connection with a Sydney murder. Detectives are in the process of investigating the violent murder of Daniel McNaulty. The 48-year-old was stabbed to death at a housing commission block on Sunday, Aug 10.
An Australian national flag and a New South Wales state flag (top) fly at half-mast atop the Sydney Harbour Bridge on July 19, 2014, as a sign of respect for those killed in the Malaysia Airlines passenger jetliner MH17 that crashed over eastern Ukraine. Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott blamed Russia on Friday for the shooting down of MH17, killing all 298 people on board, including 28 Australians. Abbott appeared to go further than other Western leaders in apportioning blame over the crash, demanding that Moscow answer questions about the "Russian-backed rebels" that he said were behind the disaster.
A man, charged with the double stabbing of McNaulty, was earlier arrested on Wednesday. Police later informed that they also arrested a 35-year-old man and a 26-year-old woman. While the man is reportedly at Liverpool police station, the woman - now identified as Harriet - is at Cabramatta Police Station.
The man who was arrested due to murder charges was identified as Lloyd Edward Haines. He was also charged with aggravated break and enter as well as attempted murder. Police found a 42-year-old man in a critically wounded condition in the courtyard of Haines' house after they had been called to the housing commission block in Redfern. They also found McNaulty who had already died from the injuries he suffered.
The 42-year-old man later told police at the St Vincent's hospital that three people had attacked them. The people who carried out the attack were in their thirties and forties. There were apparently one woman and a couple of men responsible for the attack. Consequently, Bail for Haines was refused at Parramatta local court. Now police are looking for a 1998 Toyota sedan which may have a connection with the murder. The NSW registration plate of the car reads VFP-141.
Investigators have asked for public assistance in identifying the car. According to Superintendent Luke Freudenstein, the attack was neither pre-meditated nor random. "I want to let the community know that Redfern is a safe place and murders such as these are few and far between," Freudenstein said.
Harriet is the youngest daughter of Neville Wran who was the NSW premiere from 1976 to 1986. The state memorial of Wran took place in May. Harriet read from The Tempest, written by William Shakespeare, at the ceremony in Sydney.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Indonesia Uses Russian-Built Fighter Jets In Chasing For Australian Plane
- Move Over, Jeremy Meeks; Brazil Has A Handsome Crook With 39 Murders On Record
- Producers Allowed to Sue ‘Femme Fatales’ Actress Anne Greene For Refusing Nude Scenes
- Islamic State: Aussie Terrorism Suspect Was In Same Video When Runaway Teenager Threatened PM Abbott
- Islamic State: From Beheading Men, IS Moves To Stoning Adulteress To Death
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop