Serena Williams Hits 200th week WTA World No. 1, Now Official Member of the 200 Club
By Dana Alyssa Ramos | August 14, 2014 12:17 PM EST
Serena Williams remains the world no.1 in Women's Tennis Association title for the 200th week and officially made it to the 200 club. WTA recently confirmed that Williams toppled Martina Hingis as the 9th longest reigning world no. 1 and destined to create history in the coming weeks.
Serena Williams of the U.S. pumps her fist during her women's singles tennis match against Anna Tatishvili of the U.S. at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 24, 2014.
Although last year was indeed a victorious year for Serena Williams, 2014 has not been so good for the world no. 1 so far. However, after bagging the title at Standford recently, the American tennis superstar says she is "on the right track."
The 17-time Grand Slam Champion recently won the Bank of the West Classic tournament for the third time, fighting back from an awful start to defeat German world no. 7 Angelique Kerber in the final in California.
The win didn't only give Williams a WTA tour-leading fourth title this season, but also helped the 32-year-old become the fifth player to be ranked no. 1 for 200 weeks or more ever since the women's standings began in 1975.
The American tennis superstar is now seeking to resurrect her season by retaining her US Open title next month, because of having failed to make it past the first week at Wimbledon and the French Open, and losing in the last 16 at the season's opening grand slam in Melbourne.
"I feel like I'm on the right track again. I feel like I can play even better -- I wasn't serving my best, and I wasn't making as many winners off the return as I wanted to, but I think I'm getting there."
Stanford was Williams' first tournament since an unusual performance during a doubles match at Wimbledon, which she defended as being due to a viral illness.
Serena Williams got eliminated at the Rogers Cup 2014 in Montreal where she was dispatched by her older sister, Venus Williams in the semi-finals.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu