Serena Williams Hits 200th week WTA World No. 1, Now Official Member of the 200 Club
By Dana Alyssa Ramos | August 14, 2014 12:17 PM EST
Serena Williams remains the world no.1 in Women's Tennis Association title for the 200th week and officially made it to the 200 club. WTA recently confirmed that Williams toppled Martina Hingis as the 9th longest reigning world no. 1 and destined to create history in the coming weeks.
Serena Williams of the U.S. pumps her fist during her women's singles tennis match against Anna Tatishvili of the U.S. at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 24, 2014.
Although last year was indeed a victorious year for Serena Williams, 2014 has not been so good for the world no. 1 so far. However, after bagging the title at Standford recently, the American tennis superstar says she is "on the right track."
The 17-time Grand Slam Champion recently won the Bank of the West Classic tournament for the third time, fighting back from an awful start to defeat German world no. 7 Angelique Kerber in the final in California.
The win didn't only give Williams a WTA tour-leading fourth title this season, but also helped the 32-year-old become the fifth player to be ranked no. 1 for 200 weeks or more ever since the women's standings began in 1975.
The American tennis superstar is now seeking to resurrect her season by retaining her US Open title next month, because of having failed to make it past the first week at Wimbledon and the French Open, and losing in the last 16 at the season's opening grand slam in Melbourne.
"I feel like I'm on the right track again. I feel like I can play even better -- I wasn't serving my best, and I wasn't making as many winners off the return as I wanted to, but I think I'm getting there."
Stanford was Williams' first tournament since an unusual performance during a doubles match at Wimbledon, which she defended as being due to a viral illness.
Serena Williams got eliminated at the Rogers Cup 2014 in Montreal where she was dispatched by her older sister, Venus Williams in the semi-finals.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up