Serena Williams Hits 200th week WTA World No. 1, Now Official Member of the 200 Club
By Dana Alyssa Ramos | August 14, 2014 12:17 PM EST
Serena Williams remains the world no.1 in Women's Tennis Association title for the 200th week and officially made it to the 200 club. WTA recently confirmed that Williams toppled Martina Hingis as the 9th longest reigning world no. 1 and destined to create history in the coming weeks.
Serena Williams of the U.S. pumps her fist during her women's singles tennis match against Anna Tatishvili of the U.S. at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 24, 2014.
Although last year was indeed a victorious year for Serena Williams, 2014 has not been so good for the world no. 1 so far. However, after bagging the title at Standford recently, the American tennis superstar says she is "on the right track."
The 17-time Grand Slam Champion recently won the Bank of the West Classic tournament for the third time, fighting back from an awful start to defeat German world no. 7 Angelique Kerber in the final in California.
The win didn't only give Williams a WTA tour-leading fourth title this season, but also helped the 32-year-old become the fifth player to be ranked no. 1 for 200 weeks or more ever since the women's standings began in 1975.
The American tennis superstar is now seeking to resurrect her season by retaining her US Open title next month, because of having failed to make it past the first week at Wimbledon and the French Open, and losing in the last 16 at the season's opening grand slam in Melbourne.
"I feel like I'm on the right track again. I feel like I can play even better -- I wasn't serving my best, and I wasn't making as many winners off the return as I wanted to, but I think I'm getting there."
Stanford was Williams' first tournament since an unusual performance during a doubles match at Wimbledon, which she defended as being due to a viral illness.
Serena Williams got eliminated at the Rogers Cup 2014 in Montreal where she was dispatched by her older sister, Venus Williams in the semi-finals.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’