Serena Williams Hits 200th week WTA World No. 1, Now Official Member of the 200 Club
By Dana Alyssa Ramos | August 14, 2014 12:17 PM EST
Serena Williams remains the world no.1 in Women's Tennis Association title for the 200th week and officially made it to the 200 club. WTA recently confirmed that Williams toppled Martina Hingis as the 9th longest reigning world no. 1 and destined to create history in the coming weeks.
Serena Williams of the U.S. pumps her fist during her women's singles tennis match against Anna Tatishvili of the U.S. at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 24, 2014.
Although last year was indeed a victorious year for Serena Williams, 2014 has not been so good for the world no. 1 so far. However, after bagging the title at Standford recently, the American tennis superstar says she is "on the right track."
The 17-time Grand Slam Champion recently won the Bank of the West Classic tournament for the third time, fighting back from an awful start to defeat German world no. 7 Angelique Kerber in the final in California.
The win didn't only give Williams a WTA tour-leading fourth title this season, but also helped the 32-year-old become the fifth player to be ranked no. 1 for 200 weeks or more ever since the women's standings began in 1975.
The American tennis superstar is now seeking to resurrect her season by retaining her US Open title next month, because of having failed to make it past the first week at Wimbledon and the French Open, and losing in the last 16 at the season's opening grand slam in Melbourne.
"I feel like I'm on the right track again. I feel like I can play even better -- I wasn't serving my best, and I wasn't making as many winners off the return as I wanted to, but I think I'm getting there."
Stanford was Williams' first tournament since an unusual performance during a doubles match at Wimbledon, which she defended as being due to a viral illness.
Serena Williams got eliminated at the Rogers Cup 2014 in Montreal where she was dispatched by her older sister, Venus Williams in the semi-finals.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Boxing News: Freddie Roach Not Buying Into Arum's Claim Of Pacquiao v Mayweather In 2015, Claims 'Money' Will Say 'No' After Algieri Fight
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- Julie Bishop Condemns Barack Obama For Overlooking Australia’s Commitment in Protecting Great Barrier Reef