Serena Williams Talks about How She Lost Against Venus Williams at 2014 Rogers Cup
By Dana Alyssa Ramos | August 14, 2014 11:37 AM EST
It was a Williams versus Williams match at the 2014 Rogers Cup semi-finals on August 9 in Montreal.
The Williams sisters faced each other for the 25th time in their career and took sibling rivalry to a whole new level in the ATP tournament in Canada. Despite Serena Williams winning the first set tie break, Venus Williams, the current world no. 20 came out on top as she defeated her sister and world no.1 for the first time in five years with a 6-7 (2), 6-2. 6-3 in the semi-finals.
Serena Williams of the U.S. pumps her fist during her women's singles tennis match against Anna Tatishvili of the U.S. at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London June 24, 2014.
During the game, the 34-year-old Venus only dropped her serve once and she had six aces and two doubles-faults, while the 32-year-old Serena had 19 aces but had nine double-faults.
The 17-time Grand Slam champion admitted that her older sister "taught a lesson" in the semi-finals game at Montreal and that her unforced errors cost her the match.
"I definitely don't like playing her," Serena said about Venus, according to ESPN. "I think I've lost to her more than anyone on the tour, so it's definitely not a fun match."
On the other hand, Venus likes the challenge of meeting her sister in the big events claiming it's always a toss-up when the sisters meet on the court.
"I think we both know when we walk out there, it's not like you're guaranteed a win. I think that's what makes it challenging for both of us," Venus said via USA TODAY.
Venus' victory was short-lived however as she lost to Poland's Agnieszka Radwanska, 6-4, 6-2 in the champonship match in Montreal.
Both Serena and Venus Williams will play in the 2014 US Open later this month with Serena aiming to defend her title and notching a third consecutive Grand Slam title in Flushing Meadows, New York while Venus is also looking to get back on top after US Open titles way back in 2000 and 2001.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop