Calgary-Area Hailstorm Damages Could Reach Over $25M
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | August 14, 2014 11:00 AM EST
Damages from the two hailstorms that hit north of Calgary could reach over $25 million, the Insurance Bureau of Canada said, with the agency describing the event as catastrophic.
A thunderstorm hit Airdrie city last Thursday. Hail stones as large as golf balls erupted in some areas, leaving holes in the siding, eaves and windows of homes. The windows and lights on a number of vehicles were also dented and smashed.
"Rarely do we see windows being taken out, I haven't seen too many storms where the windows get broken," Global News quoted Peter Green from Airdrie Autobody. "The storm was just more severe than average, because you see windows, sunroofs even cracking...that's not standard."
Another thunderstorm swept through the area on Friday, bringing heavy winds and hail.
Car body shops in the area said it will take months before they can finally clear all repairs on all damaged vehicles, as residents continue cleaning up debris caused by the weather events.
"It all depends on the year and the make of your vehicle," Green said. "If you have a six or seven year old vehicle with say, 150K, chances are it's not going to be repairable."
Hail season in Alberta typically runs from June to September. IBC advised vehicle and homeowners to review their policies to ensure their needs are specifically covered by these.
"It's a fact that the frequency, severity and cost of severe weather are on the rise all across Canada," Bill Adams, IBC Vice-President, Western and Pacific, said. "We're certainly seeing this in Alberta and the Prairie provinces where homes are being damaged more frequently by hail, heavy rainfall and strong winds, which makes it critical for people to know how to protect themselves and their property."
In 2012, severe storms in Alberta resulted in over $700 million in insured losses, while in 2011, storms and hail accounted for another $380 million in insured losses.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Spying Claims Muddle New Zealand Election as Dotcom Calls Key Gov't An 'American Slave'
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up