‘Captain America: The Winter Soldier’ Releases Another Deleted Scene; Maybe Teaser to Black Widow Prequel Film [VIDEOS]
By Anne Lu | August 14, 2014 10:43 AM EST
Marvel Entertainment has released another “Captain America: The Winter Soldier” deleted scene online. This one apparently teases on a possible Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow prequel.
Actress Scarlett Johansson (2nd L) takes pictures with fans as she arrives at the UK premiere of "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" at Shepherds Bush in London, in this March 20, 2014 file photo. Hollywood is remaking one of its most cherished traditions: the summer blockbuster. Unlike last year, when every summer weekend seemed to bring one or more mega-budget films, this year studios have spread out their most expensive entries for the warm weather months that traditionally make up roughly 40 percent of annual ticket sales. So far, moviegoers are lining up. Six films released since March 7 have passed or are nearing $100 million in U.S. and Canadian ticket sales, according to tracking firm Rentrak. Walt Disney Co's "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" has collected $225 million so far. Picture taken March 20, 2014.
In the second half of the film, just after Natasha (Scarlett Johansson) revealed Alexander Pierce’s (Robert Redford) dastardly plans to the senior S.H.I.E.L.D. officials, she has disabled security protocols and uploaded S.H.I.E.L.D. and Hydra data onto the Internet.
“To do this, none of your past is going to remain hidden,” Pierce told her. “Are you sure you’re ready for the world to see you as you really are?”
In the deleted scene, Pierce’s brief speech is a bit longer. Before asking Natasha if she’s prepared to be unmasked, he added the line, “No Budapest, Osaka and not the children’s ward.”
Natasha wasn’t fazed until Pierce mentioned the children’s ward.
After momentarily pausing in her work, she came back at him with, “Are you?”
Viewers may not know what really happened in Budapest, but they are aware of it because it was mentioned by Clint Barton/Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) in the “Avengers” film.
Jump to 1:15 for the “Budapest” mention
But what was in children’s ward?
In the comics, Natasha was a trained spy from childhood as part of the then USSR’s Black Widow Ops program. That might explain the “children’s ward.”
As Slashfilm has questioned, perhaps the deleted scene was meant to tease Natasha’s back story in either a One Shot short film or a standalone feature film.
There have been talks about Marvel developing a standalone feature film starring a female superhero, and if there’s one character deserving to have her own film, it’s Black Widow.
Apart from the deleted scene above, Marvel also released two more cut scenes and a blooper reel earlier in August.
“Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” starring Chris Evans as the titular character, will be available for digital download on August 19, and on Blu-ray and DVD on September 9.
Here are more featurettes included in the Blu-ray:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’