PC Exclusive Shadow Realms Announced as a Robin Williams-based Character Heads to World of Warcraft
By Gel Galang | August 14, 2014 10:00 AM EST
Instead of a "Mass Effect" related discussion during Gamescom, the name "BioWare" was tagged on to a different new IP, which is an exclusive to the PC.
Robin Williams gestures during a panel discussion for his upcoming HBO show "Robin Williams: Weapons of Self-Destruction" at the Television Critics Association Cable summer press tour in Pasadena, July 30, 2009.
The online multiplayer, called "Shadow Realms," is set up to be a four against one RPG that remains largely story-drive. Forbes reports that the set-up will pit players against a main overlord, aptly called Shadowlord. Being the Shadowlord has its perks, as he can trap the players in a battle of strategies or take them head-on.
The usual RPG-style classes will be present, including warriors, wizards and assassins, though instead of looking like a medieval gathering of troops, the heroes look like the common person. This is, at least, what it looks like in the many teaser trailers that BioWare has rolled out.
IGN adds that a closed alpha is scheduled to start next month, with signups already ongoing or those who want to be part of the game.
For what it's worth, "Shadow Realms" seem to be BioWare's take on a "never-ending RPG" as each game may follow a particular story line, but their fate and their challenges lies on another player's decisions, making the encounters unpredictable.
Robin Williams to Have an NPC Based on Him in WoW
What started out as a petition to honour the late actor Robin Williams has now become a project that Blizzard will deliver to fans soon. While the death of one of the most recognized comedians and actors of a generation still continues to be mournful news, there is one spark of hope to immortalize Williams in a game that he himself has found an affinity with.
PC Gamer reports that a petition was formed following news of Williams's passing, and in it is a request to Blizzard for an in-game character that is based on the late actor.
This move is actually one of respect more than anything else, as Williams has been a known WoW gamer, and the petition sites this as the reason for the in-game character. The source adds that Williams took his games seriously, sometimes even going so far as being a trade way back during the reign of anonymity.
And in less than a full day after the petition was started, the organiser Jacob Holgate had announced that the petition was recognized by Blizzard, confirmed by the studio that they will be working on the new character.
"Because of his presence within our community, we the players of World of Warcraft are asking Blizzard to kindly create an NPC within the game that memorializes the actor/comedian. Many have expressed a wish to this character perform some of Williams best jokes within the Worlds End Tavern, so that he may continue making us smile long after his passing," said the petition over at Change.org.
The page now displays the proud Victory tag to the petition, though it has not yet been confirmed if the wish of those who signed, which was a character at the Worlds End Tavern, would be followed by Blizzard.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 64-Bit Octa-Core CPU Expected On Samsung Galaxy S6 And Sony Xperia Z4
- Nexus 9 NVIDIA Tegra K1 Beats Nexus 6 Adreno 420, Galaxy Note 4 Mali T-760 In GPU Tests
- Android 5.0 Lollipop SDK Makes Rooting More Difficult And Overriding Impose Serious Risk To Attacks
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories