PC Exclusive Shadow Realms Announced as a Robin Williams-based Character Heads to World of Warcraft
By Gel Galang | August 14, 2014 10:00 AM EST
Instead of a "Mass Effect" related discussion during Gamescom, the name "BioWare" was tagged on to a different new IP, which is an exclusive to the PC.
Robin Williams gestures during a panel discussion for his upcoming HBO show "Robin Williams: Weapons of Self-Destruction" at the Television Critics Association Cable summer press tour in Pasadena, July 30, 2009.
The online multiplayer, called "Shadow Realms," is set up to be a four against one RPG that remains largely story-drive. Forbes reports that the set-up will pit players against a main overlord, aptly called Shadowlord. Being the Shadowlord has its perks, as he can trap the players in a battle of strategies or take them head-on.
The usual RPG-style classes will be present, including warriors, wizards and assassins, though instead of looking like a medieval gathering of troops, the heroes look like the common person. This is, at least, what it looks like in the many teaser trailers that BioWare has rolled out.
IGN adds that a closed alpha is scheduled to start next month, with signups already ongoing or those who want to be part of the game.
For what it's worth, "Shadow Realms" seem to be BioWare's take on a "never-ending RPG" as each game may follow a particular story line, but their fate and their challenges lies on another player's decisions, making the encounters unpredictable.
Robin Williams to Have an NPC Based on Him in WoW
What started out as a petition to honour the late actor Robin Williams has now become a project that Blizzard will deliver to fans soon. While the death of one of the most recognized comedians and actors of a generation still continues to be mournful news, there is one spark of hope to immortalize Williams in a game that he himself has found an affinity with.
PC Gamer reports that a petition was formed following news of Williams's passing, and in it is a request to Blizzard for an in-game character that is based on the late actor.
This move is actually one of respect more than anything else, as Williams has been a known WoW gamer, and the petition sites this as the reason for the in-game character. The source adds that Williams took his games seriously, sometimes even going so far as being a trade way back during the reign of anonymity.
And in less than a full day after the petition was started, the organiser Jacob Holgate had announced that the petition was recognized by Blizzard, confirmed by the studio that they will be working on the new character.
"Because of his presence within our community, we the players of World of Warcraft are asking Blizzard to kindly create an NPC within the game that memorializes the actor/comedian. Many have expressed a wish to this character perform some of Williams best jokes within the Worlds End Tavern, so that he may continue making us smile long after his passing," said the petition over at Change.org.
The page now displays the proud Victory tag to the petition, though it has not yet been confirmed if the wish of those who signed, which was a character at the Worlds End Tavern, would be followed by Blizzard.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Motorola Droid Turbo v. Sony Xperia Z3: Camera Details, Battery Life And Durability
- ‘GTA V': 1.18 Update, Zombie DLC Release Date To Welcome Halloween
- Motorola Droid Turbo vs. Samsung Galaxy S5: Apps And Services, Camera Features, Battery Life And Durability
- Google Nexus 6 Sold-Out Inventory: Android 5.0, Motorola-Nexus Branding, Network Carriers, Competitive Price
- 'Dragon Age Keep' Guide: How To Use And Set Up Background Story For 'Dragon Age Inquisition'
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family