PC Exclusive Shadow Realms Announced as a Robin Williams-based Character Heads to World of Warcraft
By Gel Galang | August 14, 2014 10:00 AM EST
Instead of a "Mass Effect" related discussion during Gamescom, the name "BioWare" was tagged on to a different new IP, which is an exclusive to the PC.
Robin Williams gestures during a panel discussion for his upcoming HBO show "Robin Williams: Weapons of Self-Destruction" at the Television Critics Association Cable summer press tour in Pasadena, July 30, 2009.
The online multiplayer, called "Shadow Realms," is set up to be a four against one RPG that remains largely story-drive. Forbes reports that the set-up will pit players against a main overlord, aptly called Shadowlord. Being the Shadowlord has its perks, as he can trap the players in a battle of strategies or take them head-on.
The usual RPG-style classes will be present, including warriors, wizards and assassins, though instead of looking like a medieval gathering of troops, the heroes look like the common person. This is, at least, what it looks like in the many teaser trailers that BioWare has rolled out.
IGN adds that a closed alpha is scheduled to start next month, with signups already ongoing or those who want to be part of the game.
For what it's worth, "Shadow Realms" seem to be BioWare's take on a "never-ending RPG" as each game may follow a particular story line, but their fate and their challenges lies on another player's decisions, making the encounters unpredictable.
Robin Williams to Have an NPC Based on Him in WoW
What started out as a petition to honour the late actor Robin Williams has now become a project that Blizzard will deliver to fans soon. While the death of one of the most recognized comedians and actors of a generation still continues to be mournful news, there is one spark of hope to immortalize Williams in a game that he himself has found an affinity with.
PC Gamer reports that a petition was formed following news of Williams's passing, and in it is a request to Blizzard for an in-game character that is based on the late actor.
This move is actually one of respect more than anything else, as Williams has been a known WoW gamer, and the petition sites this as the reason for the in-game character. The source adds that Williams took his games seriously, sometimes even going so far as being a trade way back during the reign of anonymity.
And in less than a full day after the petition was started, the organiser Jacob Holgate had announced that the petition was recognized by Blizzard, confirmed by the studio that they will be working on the new character.
"Because of his presence within our community, we the players of World of Warcraft are asking Blizzard to kindly create an NPC within the game that memorializes the actor/comedian. Many have expressed a wish to this character perform some of Williams best jokes within the Worlds End Tavern, so that he may continue making us smile long after his passing," said the petition over at Change.org.
The page now displays the proud Victory tag to the petition, though it has not yet been confirmed if the wish of those who signed, which was a character at the Worlds End Tavern, would be followed by Blizzard.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Facebook To Charge Users Of $2.99 Monthly Fee On November 1; Best Free Alternatives For Facebook
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition' What Players Can Expect Before November 18 Release Date
- 'World Of Warcraft Warlords Of Draenor' Spoilers: 'WoD' In-Game Cinematics Revealed, Plus There's A Brewfest For The Horde And Alliance Players [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Microsoft Promises A Better ‘Minecraft,’ Game To Come to Windows Phone
- The Pirate Bay Operations: 21 Virtual Machines Are Used To Run The File-sharing Website
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed