NBA News: Greg Monroe Settles for Qualifying Offer with Detroit Pistons, Joins Rich 2015 Free Agent Class
By James Patrick Quizon | August 14, 2014 3:40 AM EST
Greg Monroe and the Detroit Pistons couldn’t agree to a middle ground in this offseason resulting in the center deciding to sign the qualifying offer worth just $5.479 million for the 2014-2015 NBA season.
The development was first reported by USA TODAY Sports, which stated that the information came from anonymous sources who apparently know of Monroe’s plans.
Earlier reports in the offseason have stated that Monroe demanded the max contract-- possibly in the $13 million to $15 million range—while the Pistons have reportedly offered already a five-year $60 million contract extension.
Monroe shot down the latter report on his social media account on Twitter last Sunday:
— Greg Monroe (@M10OSE) August 10, 2014
Monroe is a restricted free agent (RFA), which means that he was allowed to sign with any NBA squad. However, as per the NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) rules, the Pistons have the right of first refusal and could match any offer for their young center.
With the move, the 24-year-old big man can now sign with any team after the 2014-2015 NBA season as an unrestricted free agent (UFA) and free to leave the Detroit franchise. The Pistons also cannot trade him to another NBA team without his consent after officially signing the qualifying offer, which should happen before October 1.
Interestingly, Greg Monroe will now be part of the rich free agent class in 2015 featuring the likes of Rajon Rondo (Boston Celtics); Ricky Rubio (Minnesota Timberwolves); Goran Dragic (Phoenix Suns); Dwyane Wade (Miami Heat); Rudy Gay (Sacramento Kings); LeBron James (Cleveland Cavaliers); Kawhi Leonard (San Antonio Spurs); Kenneth Faried (Denver Nuggets); and Kevin Love (Minnesota Timberwolves) among the big name players who potentially can hit the free agent market.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date