NBA News: Greg Monroe Settles for Qualifying Offer with Detroit Pistons, Joins Rich 2015 Free Agent Class
By James Patrick Quizon | August 14, 2014 3:40 AM EST
Greg Monroe and the Detroit Pistons couldn’t agree to a middle ground in this offseason resulting in the center deciding to sign the qualifying offer worth just $5.479 million for the 2014-2015 NBA season.
The development was first reported by USA TODAY Sports, which stated that the information came from anonymous sources who apparently know of Monroe’s plans.
Earlier reports in the offseason have stated that Monroe demanded the max contract-- possibly in the $13 million to $15 million range—while the Pistons have reportedly offered already a five-year $60 million contract extension.
Monroe shot down the latter report on his social media account on Twitter last Sunday:
— Greg Monroe (@M10OSE) August 10, 2014
Monroe is a restricted free agent (RFA), which means that he was allowed to sign with any NBA squad. However, as per the NBA Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) rules, the Pistons have the right of first refusal and could match any offer for their young center.
With the move, the 24-year-old big man can now sign with any team after the 2014-2015 NBA season as an unrestricted free agent (UFA) and free to leave the Detroit franchise. The Pistons also cannot trade him to another NBA team without his consent after officially signing the qualifying offer, which should happen before October 1.
Interestingly, Greg Monroe will now be part of the rich free agent class in 2015 featuring the likes of Rajon Rondo (Boston Celtics); Ricky Rubio (Minnesota Timberwolves); Goran Dragic (Phoenix Suns); Dwyane Wade (Miami Heat); Rudy Gay (Sacramento Kings); LeBron James (Cleveland Cavaliers); Kawhi Leonard (San Antonio Spurs); Kenneth Faried (Denver Nuggets); and Kevin Love (Minnesota Timberwolves) among the big name players who potentially can hit the free agent market.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery