Roger Federer Bids to Win Sixth Trophy in Cincinnati; Federer vs. Pospisil Live Stream Information and Preview
By Rachelle Corpuz | August 13, 2014 11:42 PM EST
Roger Federer bids to win his sixth trophy in Cincinnati following his finals loss against Jo-Wilfriend Tsonga in the 2014 Rogers Cup. The Swiss, who currently ranks third in the world, is looking to win another Cincinnati Masters title after winning five since 2005. The tournament, which will be take place in Mason, Ohio, will run from Aug. 11 to Aug. 17.
Roger Federer of Switzerland celebrates winning the fourth set against Novak Djokovic of Serbia during their men's singles finals tennis match on Centre Court at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London July 6, 2014.
Despite the loss in Canada, Federer is confident entering the Cincinnati tournament. The 33-year-old admitted that his defeat to the Frenchman was a disappointing but he remains positive with the recent losses including the one he suffered against world no. 1 Novak Djokovic in the 2014 Wimbledon Championships.
"I’m overall pretty happy that I made the finals in my first tournament back on hard courts. I had a few tough matches which clearly gave me a lot of information." Federer said via NDTV Sports. "I know what I need to work on the next few days and next few weeks, which is good to know what I need to do other than feeling lost. I wish I could have played a bit better in the final, but the facts were that it was tough for me."
Federer holds the record of the most number of men's singles title won in the history of the tournament. He had won the titles in 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010, and 2012.
Federer will begin his campaign in Cincinnati Masters against Canada's Vasik Pospisil.
Pospisil is a 24-year-old Canadian athlete, who ranks 46th in the latest Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) world rankings. Pospisil reached his all-time career high of 25th place in January when he reached the semifinals in Chennai and after he reached the third round of the Australian Open.
Pospisil's career suffered a minor setback however after suffering from a back injury in January and was out of rhythm when he came back losing eight consecutive matches. All happened in the early rounds of Indian Wells, Miami Open, Monte Carlo, Bucharest, Rome, and Roland Garros tournaments. He finally scored a victory against Paolo Lorenzi at Queen's in June.
Pospisil has reached the quarterfinals of the s-Hertogenbosch event in Netherlands and lost to Robin Haase in the Wimbledon Championships. He has then made it to the quarterfinals of tournaments in Bogota and Atlanta. The Canadian's best performance in 2014 was at the event in Washington where he reached the finals before losing to fellow compatriot Milos Raonic. Pospisil last competed in the Rogers Cup in Toronto where he he lost in the first round against France's Richard Gasquet.
Federer and Pospisil have played each other two times and Federer has won in both matches.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Fight Won't Happen As Long As Bob Arum Is Involved, Says Pacquiao's Former Conditioning Coach
- WWE News: CM Punk Merchandise Pulled From Stands, Punk Chasing Royalties For WWE 2K15 Inclusion [VIDEO]
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4