Roger Federer Bids to Win Sixth Trophy in Cincinnati; Federer vs. Pospisil Live Stream Information and Preview
By Rachelle Corpuz | August 13, 2014 11:42 PM EST
Roger Federer bids to win his sixth trophy in Cincinnati following his finals loss against Jo-Wilfriend Tsonga in the 2014 Rogers Cup. The Swiss, who currently ranks third in the world, is looking to win another Cincinnati Masters title after winning five since 2005. The tournament, which will be take place in Mason, Ohio, will run from Aug. 11 to Aug. 17.
Roger Federer of Switzerland celebrates winning the fourth set against Novak Djokovic of Serbia during their men's singles finals tennis match on Centre Court at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London July 6, 2014.
Despite the loss in Canada, Federer is confident entering the Cincinnati tournament. The 33-year-old admitted that his defeat to the Frenchman was a disappointing but he remains positive with the recent losses including the one he suffered against world no. 1 Novak Djokovic in the 2014 Wimbledon Championships.
"I’m overall pretty happy that I made the finals in my first tournament back on hard courts. I had a few tough matches which clearly gave me a lot of information." Federer said via NDTV Sports. "I know what I need to work on the next few days and next few weeks, which is good to know what I need to do other than feeling lost. I wish I could have played a bit better in the final, but the facts were that it was tough for me."
Federer holds the record of the most number of men's singles title won in the history of the tournament. He had won the titles in 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010, and 2012.
Federer will begin his campaign in Cincinnati Masters against Canada's Vasik Pospisil.
Pospisil is a 24-year-old Canadian athlete, who ranks 46th in the latest Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) world rankings. Pospisil reached his all-time career high of 25th place in January when he reached the semifinals in Chennai and after he reached the third round of the Australian Open.
Pospisil's career suffered a minor setback however after suffering from a back injury in January and was out of rhythm when he came back losing eight consecutive matches. All happened in the early rounds of Indian Wells, Miami Open, Monte Carlo, Bucharest, Rome, and Roland Garros tournaments. He finally scored a victory against Paolo Lorenzi at Queen's in June.
Pospisil has reached the quarterfinals of the s-Hertogenbosch event in Netherlands and lost to Robin Haase in the Wimbledon Championships. He has then made it to the quarterfinals of tournaments in Bogota and Atlanta. The Canadian's best performance in 2014 was at the event in Washington where he reached the finals before losing to fellow compatriot Milos Raonic. Pospisil last competed in the Rogers Cup in Toronto where he he lost in the first round against France's Richard Gasquet.
Federer and Pospisil have played each other two times and Federer has won in both matches.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation