Twitter Storm Hits Fox TV Doctor Keith Ablow After He Urges U.S. First Lady Michelle Obama to Lose Weight to Gain Credibility in Nutrition Push
By Vittorio Hernandez | August 13, 2014 11:32 PM EST
The jaws of some of Fox News's hosts dropped on Tuesday when contributor Dr Keith Ablow did the unthinkable on national TV and said that U.S. First Lady Michelle Obama needs to lose weight to be credible in her campaign for better nutrition among American school children.
"How well could she be eating? She needs to drop a few. Let's be honest," the doctor said.
"Let's be honest. There's no French fries happening? That's all kale and carrots?" I don't buy it. Just saying," he added, to the disbelief of one of the female co-hosts who uttered, "You did not just say that."
His remarks created a harvest of nasty comments on Twitter as members of the microblogging site chastised Ablow for his fat shaming.
Ms Obama is behind the Let's Move anti-obesity campaign. The White House so far has not issued yet a statement on the comment of Ablow, a member of Fox's Medical A-Team on the show Outnumbered which features four female panelist against one man.
Lisa Kennedy Montgomery, one of the co-hosts, said that while she does not like the First Lady's attitude, she admires her booty. Another co-host, Sandra Smith, attempted to bring back the discussion by citing that some school districts are opting out of the federal requirements that require better choices in school lunches because the requirements are too difficult. She added some of the students even go out of the campus to buy fast food rather than eat what the school canteens offer.
However, in Twitter, words and comments are being exchanged about Ablow's comments, mostly negative ones directed at the doctor. Here are some samples:
"People who speak openly about women's bodies and how fat they are should not have a platform on national television." - Meredith Shiner
"Keith Ablow should read his own book before talking about Michelle Obama's weight." - The Raw Story
"Please keep your comments about women 'dropping a few' to yourself." - Janice Dean
"Pretty sure @flotus can do more push ups than this keith ablow dude. I can do more push ups too." - Zerlina Maxwell
Allan Brauer even challenged Ablow to post his picture in a Speedo trunk "to determine his qualifications top judge FLOTUS's physique.
Here's the Fox News video which has almost 50,000 hits since it was posted on Tuesday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Maria Menounos Lost 40 Pounds; She Follows a Low Carb Vegetarian Diet, Her Weight Loss and Fitness Secrets Revealed
- 'Django Unchained' Actress Danielle Watts Mistaken As Prostitute And Arrested; Accused Police of Racism
- Airborne Version of Ebola Virus Could Wipe Out 1.2 Million; Aussie Doctor Appeals For Help
- A Wife's Happiness is More Crucial Than Her Husband's For a Long Lasting, Happy Marriage, Finds Study
- Kim Kardashian's Pregnancy Glow Returns; Rumour Mill Suggests That Kim Is Pregnant
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up