How Breaking Up With Caroline Wozniacki Helped Rory McIlroy for the Better
By Rachelle Corpuz | August 13, 2014 9:31 PM EST
Breaking up might be a tough thing to do, but in some instances, it may also be the right thing to do. Rory McIlroy, who recently broke off his engagement with Danish tennis star Caroline Wozniacki, has spoken after winning his second major title how their breakup had helped him for the better.
Rory McIlroy of Northern Ireland kisses the Claret Jug after winning the British Open Championship at the Royal Liverpool Golf Club in Hoylake, northern England July 20, 2014.
For McIlroy, saying goodbye and ending his engagement to Wozniacki has helped him get in shape, not only physically, but also in playing professional golf. Since his breakup, he has dominated the sporting world of golf.
"I think what happened has been for the better in terms of my golf," McIlroy said in an interview via the Daily Mail.
McIlroy said that he had invested a lot of time into playing golf and "refocused." Now that he is not in a relationship, he has more time for himself and he has been keeping himself busy by going to the golf course and hitting the gym.
"I worked pretty hard before but the past couple of months, I've really buried myself in the game," McIlroy added.
McIlroy isn't really boasting that ditching Wozniacki is the best thing that has ever happened to him in recent years. He is simply making a point that he has a lot more time now to practice his craft and fortunately, it has helped him play better resulting to more achievements, according to the Daily Mai.
McIlroy is reportedly looking forward to continue his strong form in professional golf and hopes he gets more trophies in major tournaments. "It obviously works pretty well, so I am going to keep doing it."
On May 21, McIlroy announced that he had broken up with Wozniacki. Only a few days after splitting with the Danish tennis athlete, McIlroy participated in the 2014 BMW PGA Championship held at Wentworth Club in Surrey, England where he won by one stroke beating Thomas Bjorn. It was McIlroy's first victory on one of the two major tours in 18 months. In July, McIlroy won the 2014 Open Championship by two strokes over Rickie Fowler and Sergio Garcia. Following his Open Championship victory, McIlroy has won 2014 PGA Championship at Valhalla, his fourth major title, second of the season.
If McIlroy's breakup with Wozniacki is really the one responsible for his recent success, would future romantic relationships be a distraction from McIlroy's, who is seeing 23-year-old receptionist Sasha Gale, sports career?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast