Queen Elizabeth's Guards Play The Game Of Thrones Theme Song At Buckingham Palace [VIDEO]
By Christine Jane Caparras | August 13, 2014 3:51 PM EST
The Queen's guards are playing the theme from HBO's hit Original Series "Game of Thrones" and not Queen Cersei, Margaery, Daenerys or any other Queen of Westeros and Essos but the Queen of the United Kingdom, Queen Elizabeth II.
Britain's Queen Elizabeth looks at the Iron Throne as she meets members of the cast on the set of the television show Game of Thrones in the Titanic Quarter of Belfast, Northern Ireland, June 24, 2014.
In an interesting twist to the usual "Changing of the Guards" ceremony that takes place at Buckingham Palace, the Queen's official residence in London, the Royal Guards were filmed by tourists playing the theme to Game of Thrones to accompany the popular ceremony which is witnessed by millions of people who come from all over the world. The Irish regiment was responsible for the Westerosi tribute and there is no official statement from Buckingham palace about how the Queen feels about this break from tradition.
The Game of Thrones theme song has become a familiar tune to fans of the show as a lengthy version of it is played at the start of each episode while animated graphics travel through a map to introduce the locations of important places in the fantasy world conceived by author George RR Martin from whose books the series is based.
Many of the scenes for the series have been filmed in the UK particularly in Northern Ireland. At the moment, filming for season 5 is in progress and just last week, several photos have emerged on social media from fans who were able to visit the filming sites particularly those in Portstewart Strand in Northern Ireland which is believed to be the location for shooting the Southernmost province of Westeros called Dorne. Members of the Night's Watch such as Kit Harrington who plays Jon Snow has also been spotted in Belfast along with other cast members.
Earlier this year, Queen Elizabeth herself visited the "Game of Thrones" exhibition in Northern Ireland along with several cast members. The exhibition has gone to several cities around the world to showcase props, costumes and other interesting merchandise that were used in the series to be viewed up close by fans of the show.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron' Teaser Trailer: Fans' Cry At ‘Epic’ Footage, Vision Not Featured
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports