World Needs to Do More to Protect Threatened Oceans: U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry
By Afza Fathima | August 13, 2014 3:28 PM EST
The U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry warned against overfishing, and he asks the people around the world to do more to protect the threatened oceans; otherwise, it will cause risk of life.
On Aug 11, he spoke to a bunch of high school students in Sydney at the Darling Harbour, explaining to them that they have a huge responsibility towards the ocean as it has a strong connection to mankind.
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry boards a flight to Saudi Arabia at Queen Alia International Airport in the Jordanian capital Amman January 5, 2014.
He is presently in Sydney as he is in talks with the federal government.
He explained to them that when one measures the salt in the human blood, it gives the story of human evolution and connection. He hopes that the nations focus their attention of a common responsibility of protecting oceans around the world.
He feels that if every child picks up one piece of plastic from the beach and prevent people from throwing it there, then a marine mammal or bird can be saved as they usually ingest the plastic accidentally. Most marine mammals face death because of ingesting the harmful articles.
Apart from the plastic, he said that overfishing from the oceans also has certain dangers. He explained that there is too much money being spent on chasing few fish and the major fisheries around the world are in extremis or near it.
He hopes that in the near future, there would be awareness and a new consciousness towards human's reponsiblility to the ocean. He feels that the oceans are threatened by climate change, which is impacting the acidity of it, hence impacting the ecosystem. He noted that life on Earth depends on the relationship people have with the ocean.
He took a tour of a replica of Endeavour with sailor Jessica Watson, the youngest person to sail non-stop and unassisted all around the world in 2009, on Aug 11.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting: Giant 5 Mile Wide UFO Spotted Over the Ocean in NASA Photograph [Watch Video]
- Death By Ice Bucket Challenge Accident For Kentucky Firefighter
- UFO Sighting In Portsmouth: Sign Of Alien Life Or Smudge On The Camera [Watch Video]
- Canada PM Stephen Harper to Skip UN Climate Summit
- Lifestyle Changes Reduces Risk of Dementia, According To World Alzheimer Report 2014
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border