World Needs to Do More to Protect Threatened Oceans: U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry
By Afza Fathima | August 13, 2014 3:28 PM EST
The U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry warned against overfishing, and he asks the people around the world to do more to protect the threatened oceans; otherwise, it will cause risk of life.
On Aug 11, he spoke to a bunch of high school students in Sydney at the Darling Harbour, explaining to them that they have a huge responsibility towards the ocean as it has a strong connection to mankind.
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry boards a flight to Saudi Arabia at Queen Alia International Airport in the Jordanian capital Amman January 5, 2014.
He is presently in Sydney as he is in talks with the federal government.
He explained to them that when one measures the salt in the human blood, it gives the story of human evolution and connection. He hopes that the nations focus their attention of a common responsibility of protecting oceans around the world.
He feels that if every child picks up one piece of plastic from the beach and prevent people from throwing it there, then a marine mammal or bird can be saved as they usually ingest the plastic accidentally. Most marine mammals face death because of ingesting the harmful articles.
Apart from the plastic, he said that overfishing from the oceans also has certain dangers. He explained that there is too much money being spent on chasing few fish and the major fisheries around the world are in extremis or near it.
He hopes that in the near future, there would be awareness and a new consciousness towards human's reponsiblility to the ocean. He feels that the oceans are threatened by climate change, which is impacting the acidity of it, hence impacting the ecosystem. He noted that life on Earth depends on the relationship people have with the ocean.
He took a tour of a replica of Endeavour with sailor Jessica Watson, the youngest person to sail non-stop and unassisted all around the world in 2009, on Aug 11.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation