NZ Electoral Commission Bans Airplay of John Key Parody Song ‘Planet Key’
By Anne Lu | August 13, 2014 3:13 PM EST
The John Key parody song “Planet Key” is now prohibited to be played on radio and TV stations. The Electoral Commission of New Zealand classified Darren Watson’s song as an “election programme” that may influence voters.
New Zealand's Prime Minister John Key speaks at a luncheon in Sydney February 7, 2014 file photo. REUTERS
Earlier in August, Watson released his single, which appears to be a jibe at the Prime Minister.
Its lyrics include, “All I wanted when I was growing up was to be the boss of you all,” and “I’m all up here pn Planet Key, it’s all for one and it’s all for me.”
It has been enjoying moderate success since it was released, debuting at number 14 on the NZ Top 20 singles chart. However, on Tuesday, Watson announced on his Facebook page that there’s an airplay ban on his song.
The Commission has ordered radio stations to stop playing the song on the ground that it could be against the law.
“The Planet Key track cannot be broadcast on radio or television because it is an election programme,” the statement reads.
“There are strict rules that prohibit the broadcasting on radio and television of material by third parties that appears to encourage voters to vote or not to vote for a political party.”
The Commission is still considering whether the music video for “Planet Key” is an election advertisement. If it is, it can still be published online, but it would need to include a promoter statement for the voters to see who promoted it.
But if Mr Key himself is asked, the song was harmless.
“I’ve seen it, as a parody it was OK,” he told reporters on Tuesday, as quoted by MSN. He added that he didn’t know that it has been banned.
“I’m not worried about it.”
Labour leader David Cunliffe also thought that the controversial song, which features Mr Key playing a guitar in oil-polluted water, was mildly amusing.
Watson’s “Planet Key” is still available for download on iTunes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- This Is Why Japanese Princess Masako Attended First Palace Banquet After 11 Years
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- Pregnant Kourtney Kardashian Talks About Marrying Scott Disick, Her Pregnancy Cravings and Picking Out Baby Names
- ‘The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies’ Premiere Announcement Plus Spoilers [Watch Video]
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists