NZ Electoral Commission Bans Airplay of John Key Parody Song ‘Planet Key’
By Anne Lu | August 13, 2014 3:13 PM EST
The John Key parody song “Planet Key” is now prohibited to be played on radio and TV stations. The Electoral Commission of New Zealand classified Darren Watson’s song as an “election programme” that may influence voters.
New Zealand's Prime Minister John Key speaks at a luncheon in Sydney February 7, 2014 file photo. REUTERS
Earlier in August, Watson released his single, which appears to be a jibe at the Prime Minister.
Its lyrics include, “All I wanted when I was growing up was to be the boss of you all,” and “I’m all up here pn Planet Key, it’s all for one and it’s all for me.”
It has been enjoying moderate success since it was released, debuting at number 14 on the NZ Top 20 singles chart. However, on Tuesday, Watson announced on his Facebook page that there’s an airplay ban on his song.
The Commission has ordered radio stations to stop playing the song on the ground that it could be against the law.
“The Planet Key track cannot be broadcast on radio or television because it is an election programme,” the statement reads.
“There are strict rules that prohibit the broadcasting on radio and television of material by third parties that appears to encourage voters to vote or not to vote for a political party.”
The Commission is still considering whether the music video for “Planet Key” is an election advertisement. If it is, it can still be published online, but it would need to include a promoter statement for the voters to see who promoted it.
But if Mr Key himself is asked, the song was harmless.
“I’ve seen it, as a parody it was OK,” he told reporters on Tuesday, as quoted by MSN. He added that he didn’t know that it has been banned.
“I’m not worried about it.”
Labour leader David Cunliffe also thought that the controversial song, which features Mr Key playing a guitar in oil-polluted water, was mildly amusing.
Watson’s “Planet Key” is still available for download on iTunes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage