NZ Electoral Commission Bans Airplay of John Key Parody Song ‘Planet Key’
By Anne Lu | August 13, 2014 3:13 PM EST
The John Key parody song “Planet Key” is now prohibited to be played on radio and TV stations. The Electoral Commission of New Zealand classified Darren Watson’s song as an “election programme” that may influence voters.
New Zealand's Prime Minister John Key speaks at a luncheon in Sydney February 7, 2014 file photo. REUTERS
Earlier in August, Watson released his single, which appears to be a jibe at the Prime Minister.
Its lyrics include, “All I wanted when I was growing up was to be the boss of you all,” and “I’m all up here pn Planet Key, it’s all for one and it’s all for me.”
It has been enjoying moderate success since it was released, debuting at number 14 on the NZ Top 20 singles chart. However, on Tuesday, Watson announced on his Facebook page that there’s an airplay ban on his song.
The Commission has ordered radio stations to stop playing the song on the ground that it could be against the law.
“The Planet Key track cannot be broadcast on radio or television because it is an election programme,” the statement reads.
“There are strict rules that prohibit the broadcasting on radio and television of material by third parties that appears to encourage voters to vote or not to vote for a political party.”
The Commission is still considering whether the music video for “Planet Key” is an election advertisement. If it is, it can still be published online, but it would need to include a promoter statement for the voters to see who promoted it.
But if Mr Key himself is asked, the song was harmless.
“I’ve seen it, as a parody it was OK,” he told reporters on Tuesday, as quoted by MSN. He added that he didn’t know that it has been banned.
“I’m not worried about it.”
Labour leader David Cunliffe also thought that the controversial song, which features Mr Key playing a guitar in oil-polluted water, was mildly amusing.
Watson’s “Planet Key” is still available for download on iTunes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron' Teaser Trailer: Fans' Cry At ‘Epic’ Footage, Vision Not Featured
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’