NZ Electoral Commission Bans Airplay of John Key Parody Song ‘Planet Key’
By Anne Lu | August 13, 2014 3:13 PM EST
The John Key parody song “Planet Key” is now prohibited to be played on radio and TV stations. The Electoral Commission of New Zealand classified Darren Watson’s song as an “election programme” that may influence voters.
New Zealand's Prime Minister John Key speaks at a luncheon in Sydney February 7, 2014 file photo. REUTERS
Earlier in August, Watson released his single, which appears to be a jibe at the Prime Minister.
Its lyrics include, “All I wanted when I was growing up was to be the boss of you all,” and “I’m all up here pn Planet Key, it’s all for one and it’s all for me.”
It has been enjoying moderate success since it was released, debuting at number 14 on the NZ Top 20 singles chart. However, on Tuesday, Watson announced on his Facebook page that there’s an airplay ban on his song.
The Commission has ordered radio stations to stop playing the song on the ground that it could be against the law.
“The Planet Key track cannot be broadcast on radio or television because it is an election programme,” the statement reads.
“There are strict rules that prohibit the broadcasting on radio and television of material by third parties that appears to encourage voters to vote or not to vote for a political party.”
The Commission is still considering whether the music video for “Planet Key” is an election advertisement. If it is, it can still be published online, but it would need to include a promoter statement for the voters to see who promoted it.
But if Mr Key himself is asked, the song was harmless.
“I’ve seen it, as a parody it was OK,” he told reporters on Tuesday, as quoted by MSN. He added that he didn’t know that it has been banned.
“I’m not worried about it.”
Labour leader David Cunliffe also thought that the controversial song, which features Mr Key playing a guitar in oil-polluted water, was mildly amusing.
Watson’s “Planet Key” is still available for download on iTunes.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- ‘Orange is the New Black Story’ Season 3 Update: New Corrections Officer To Be Introduced, Likely To Take Pornstache's Position At Litchfield Penitentiary
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2: Jessica Talks After Her Shocking Elimination
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes