Chelsea FC Transfer News: Mourinho Trying to Convince Khedira to Join the Blues and Snub Arsenal
By Mark Wayne Eubank | August 13, 2014 2:36 PM EST
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho is trying to convince Real Madrid holding midfielder Sami Khedira to move to Stamford Bridge amid rumours linking him to Premier League rivals Arsenal.
(L to R) Real Madrid's Sami Khedira, Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale, Daniel Carvajal and Toni Kroos attend a training session ahead of their UEFA Super Cup soccer match against Sevilla at Cardiff City Stadium, Wales, August 11, 2014.
The Express claims that the Portuguese mentor wants the World Cup-winning Germany international to, however, take advantage of the Bosman ruling and join him on a free-transfer after his contract expires in June 2015.
The former Stuttgart man proved to be a vital piece for club and country, as he was still given a chance to make a comeback late in the season for the Los Blancos, after remaining on the sidelines for about six months, to feature in the Champions League finals, while starting four of the seven World Cup finals fixtures in Brazil.
But, the threat of the Gunners snatching the 27-year-old could still be a reality since Arsene Wenger's squad still lacks a legitimate alternative defensive midfielder that could either compete with Mathieu Flamini for the starting role, or play alongside the latter.
Sans competition, the north Londoners might be able to take advantage of a cut-price deal to bring in Khedira, but they will have to further negotiate on personal terms as the 6-foot-2 player has been reported to have been asking for enormous wages.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Chelsea FC: Thibaut Courtois Thanks Cech For Tips Following Injury Scare, Not Ready To Relinquish No. 1 Spot
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM