5 Best Diets that are Effective for Weight Loss and Benefit Your Health
By Sarah Thomas | August 13, 2014 2:35 PM EST
Everyone's searching for the best weight-loss plans. While exercise can be a strenuous option, people look towards diets as a means to shed some pounds. There are several diet plans that one could follow, but the best diets that have given visible results and are well appreciated by celebrities, dieticians and fitness trainers are very few.
Dolma, a traditional dish of stuffed vegetables, and other food are laid out on a table at Mevlida Mrgic's home in the central Bosnian town of Zenica, July 13, 2014. During Ramadan, the ninth and holiest month in the Islamic calendar, Muslims refrain from eating and drinking during daylight hours. Reuters photographers took a series of portraits of Muslims observing Ramadan in different countries around the world, and asked them what food they liked to eat when breaking their daily fast. Eid-al-Fitr, marking the end of Ramadan, will be celebrated at the beginning of next week. Picture taken July 13, 2014. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic (BOSNIA AND HERZEGGOVINA - Tags: FOOD SOCIETY RELIGION TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY) ATTENTION EDITORS: PICTURE 06 OF 16 FOR PACKAGE 'RAMADAN - BREAKING MY FAST' TO FIND ALL IMAGES SEARCH 'GLOBAL FAST'
The British Dietetic Association (BDA) has weighed out the pros and cons and given a list of the best diets. The most searched diet on Google in 2013 was also rated as a top 10 diet for weight loss. The Paleo diet or the Caveman diet is a low-carb, high- protein diet. The diet has more benefits than just weight loss; it helps reduce risk of diabetes, heart disease, multiple sclerosis, cancer and other health problems. BDA also stated that the diet reduces the intake of calories and helps lose weight. A study published in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition revealed that the Paleo diet is two times more effective as other diets for promoting weight loss. The BDA verdict stated, "The diet lacks variety so there's a risk you'll get bored quickly and give up." Celebrities like Megan Fox, Jessica Alba, Tim Mc Graw have all taken to the Paleo diet for weight loss.
Created by the National Institute of Health, the Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes, or TLC, is ranked second by the US News and World Reports. The diet helps reduce a person's LDL cholesterol. It provides the body with essential nutrients and is extremely easy to follow as well. This diet is recommended by the National Cholesterol Education Program of the U.S. National Institutes of Health. According to Marjorie Nolan, RD, personal trainer and national spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association (ADA), "TLC was created for the purpose of lifestyle change, weight loss in particular, and it's been around for a long time. It's a healthy diet with solid scientific evidence proving it works to reduce cholesterol, blood pressure and weight." The diet focuses on reducing saturated fats, a reduction of fat aids weight loss.
The U.S., news ranked the Mediterranean diet as one of the best diets. It emphasises fruits, vegetables, olive oil and fish. A study conducted by Dr Franck Sacks of the Harvard School of Public Health and Kathy McManus, director of the Department of Nutrition at Brigham and Women's Hospital. They compared the amount of weight loss on volunteers who were made to follow a low-fat diet and a moderate-fat Mediterranean diet. It was seen that those who followed the low-fat diet lost 6 pound in 18 months compared to the Mediterranean dieters who lost 9 pounds in the same period. It was seen that the volunteers continued to follow the diet later as well.
The Dash Diet
The Dash diet has been ranked "Best Overall Diet" by US News & World Reports for the past 4 years. The research by the National Health Institute proved that DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) guaranteed speedy weight loss and also boosts metabolism. The DASH diet was seen as the best diet plan to prevent and manage diabetes.
The Ketogenic diet followed by Kim Kardashian is beneficial for many people. The low carb diet helps lower cholesterol, helps reduce belly fat and is good for weight loss. The Ketogenic diet was originally designed for patients with epilepsy by researchers at Johns Hopkins Medical Center. It functions in manner in which the body begins burning the stored fat because the unavailability of glucose form the food intake.
Michael Dansinger, MD, an assistant professor at Tufts University School of Medicine in Boston and leading authority on diet and weight loss, told Webmd that unless one is suffering from a chronic illness or is under medication, medical supervision is not essential while starting a diet. "While a really extreme low-calorie diet - 500 calories or so - could be risky, nobody can really stick to that anyway."
He, however, said that including a doctor would be beneficial as it would help check the progress of the person dieting. Dansinger, is the nutrition doctor for the TV show The Biggest Loser
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- New String Of Ebola In The Democratic Republic Of The Congo; DFAT Advises Against Travel
- Sex Change Surgery Gets Enhanced Cover From US Insurance Firms: Obama Regime's Policy Change Became The Trigger
- Chilling: Ebola Spreads Through Sneeze and Cough Droplets And Toilet Seats
- Red Cross Aussie Nurse Says Australia’s Ebola Visa Ban Is Embarrassing
- From 30-Inch To 16-Inch Waistline, Woman Shrinks Self With Corset [Video]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight