New Nokia Lumia 530 vs. Nokia Lumia 520 – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown
By Pavithra Rathinavel | August 13, 2014 2:21 PM EST
Nokia Lumia 520 was released in April 2013, while the successor Nokia Lumia 530 has recently been announced in July. And, the expected release date of the Lumia 530 is pegged for August. Moreover, both the phones are budget-friendly and come packed with impressive specifications. Readers who are interested in the latest Nokia Lumia 530 or the Lumia 520 should check out this specifications, features and price comparison.
The new Nokia Lumia 520 is pictured during the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona
Display, Exterior and Size
Both the phones come with the same 4.0-inch display. However, there is a slight difference in the screen resolution and pixel density. The Nokia Lumia 520 comes bundled with 480 x 800 pixels screen resolution, whereas the upcoming Nokia Lumia 530 comes with 480 x 854 pixels resolution. The pixel density of Nokia Lumia 520 and Nokia Lumia 530 stand at 233 ppi and 245 ppi respectively. Hence there is no significant change in the display of the upcoming device.
When it comes to exterior, the sharp angular plastic edges of the Lumia 520 are altered to provide rounded corners in the Lumia 530. Apart from this minor difference, both the phones come with similar size and look, according to Tech Radar.
The thickness and the weight of Nokia Lumia 530 are 0.46-inch and 129 g respectively, whereas the Nokia Lumia 520 is 0.39-inch thick and weighs 124 g. Very interestingly, the 2013 Lumia 520 handset is both lighter and thinner than the upcoming Lumia 530 from Nokia.
Hardware, Software and Memory
The Nokia Lumia 520 is powered by a dual-core (Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Plus) Krait processor, clocked at 1.0 GHz. The Nokia Lumia 530, on the other hand, will be powered by a relatively superior quad-core (Qualcomm Snapdragon 200) processor, clocked at 1.2 GHz. However, there is no improvement in the RAM configuration of the upcoming device. Both the handsets house only a meagre 512 MB of RAM.
The Nokia Lumia 520 runs on Microsoft Windows Phone 8 (upgradeable to v8.1), while the Nokia Lumia 530 will run on Windows Phone 8.1 out of the box. In addition, the Lumia 520 offers only 8 GB of internal storage and microSD card support for expansion up to 64 GB. Meanwhile, the Lumia 530 will offer a decent 8 GB of in-built storage and expansion limit up to 128 GB.
Camera and Battery
Both the handsets sport the same 5 MP rear-facing cameras with no LED flash. Furthermore, there is no secondary camera unit in both the phones. In addition, both the phones are backed by the same Li-Ion 1430 mAh battery unit.
Connectivity, SIM and Colour
Both the phones come equipped with Bluetooth v4.0, Wi-Fi 802.11, Wi-Fi hotspot and microUSB support. Besides, both the phones come equipped with micro-sim support. It is worth noting that, the upcoming Nokia Lumia 530 may also come as a dual-sim variant.
The Nokia Lumia 520 comes in black, red, yellow, white, and blue/cyan, whereas the Nokia Lumia 530 is expected to come with similar colour palette.
Price and Release Date
The Nokia Lumia 520 can be purchased for AU$139.95. The Nokia Lumia 530, on the other hand, will be priced at €85 (roughly translates to $113, AU$122 and £67). Notably, the quoted price of the Lumia 530 is before taxes and subsidies, says Tech Radar. As mentioned earlier, the Lumia 530 is expected to be released in August.
2. 5-Inch Motorola Moto G2 (aka Moto G+1) Spotted in Benchmark Testing Site; Specifications Out - [Read]
3. OnePlus OneWatch (Smartwatch) with Rounded Display, Sapphire Protection and Wireless Charging in the Offing - Tough Luck for Moto 360 - [Read]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- Julie Bishop Condemns Barack Obama For Overlooking Australia’s Commitment in Protecting Great Barrier Reef