iPhone 6 on Release Date Will Feature 2.0 GHz A8 chip, Fine-Tuned Touch ID, NFC, Wi-Fi 802.11ac, No Sapphire Display – Reports
By Pavithra Rathinavel | August 13, 2014 2:05 PM EST
Upcoming Apple iPhone 6 had its fair share of rumours and speculations from anonymous sources across the globe for the longest period of time. According to recent reports, VentureBeat has listed down iPhone 6 features that will be part of the handset on its release.
An Apple employee waves a rainbow flag before marching in the San Francisco Gay Pride Festival in California June 29, 2014. Thousands of Apple employees donned specially designed T shirts at the festival and marched in unison. This year's turnout was largest in the company's history, several Apple employees told Reuters.
However, VentureBeat did not disclose the source name. Even though a vast majority of features and specifications listed in VentureBeat's post are in-line with the earlier speculations, there are a couple of features that are noteworthy, according to MacRumors.
Going by the information listed in the portal, Apple iPhone 6 release date for both 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch models are slated for Sept. 9. However, the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 variant will hit the store shelves by the mid of September. Meanwhile, the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 phablet will start shipping only by October.
On the production front, while the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 model got a couple of months of head-start, the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 model will be in production starting August or September.
When it comes to specifications, the handset will reportedly be powered by a 2.0 GHz A8 chipset. The phone will come with NFC and Wi-Fi 802.11ac support. In specific, the iPhone 6 will utilise Qualcomm's MDM9x35 cellular modem in combination with a NFC chip manufactured by NXP and a Wi-Fi chip constructed by Broadcom, according to VentureBeat.
Corroborating the previous reports, the iPhone 6's Touch ID fingerprint scanner will come with enhancements that can improve fingerprint read times, reduce false rebuffs, and enhance the overall security for the payments made via smartphones. Also, security pertaining to biometrics will also be improved. Furthermore, the source claims that the upcoming iPhone 6 will not come with sapphire crystal display.
It is worth noting that, rumours from the past suggested that due to supply chain/availability issues, sapphire crystal display will be designated to 5.5-inch iPhone 6 phablet model. With the production of sapphire crystals at the Apple's Arizona plant functioned by GT Advanced increased tremendously, it is safe to assume that at least one of the iPhone 6 models will get sapphire display along with the upcoming Apple iWatch.
Apparently, Apple is also working on special connectivity options between the iPhone and Beats headphones via Apple Lightning connector. In VentureBeat's words, "Our source adds that Apple has also been playing around with some technology that would form a special "handshake" between iPhones and Beats headphones."However, Apple has not confirmed any of the above information thus far.
3. With Moto G2 (aka Moto G+1) Release Date Set for Sept. 10, Moto G Can be Purchased for $59.99 [Hurry, Limited Period Offer] - [Read]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports