Singer, Chad Vaccarino Use Paleo Diet to Treat Multiple Sclerosis (Watch Video)
By Sarah Thomas | August 13, 2014 1:57 PM EST
The Paleo diet has several benefits apart from weight loss. It lowers cholesterol, reduces hormone surges and controls diabetes. The benefits of this diet are not new to the world; celebrities and the common masses have taken to the diet and seen benefits. Lately, singer Chad Vaccarino of the duo A Great Big World has taken to Paleo diet to treat his multiple sclerosis. It is a progressive disease involving damage to the covering of the nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord. Chad was diagnosed to have disease at 28.
The singer stated that he began following the diet after watching TEDTalk by Dr Terry Wahls. Chad stated that the diet helped him reverse the symptoms of the disease. The symptoms of multiple sclerosis include numbness, impairment of speech and muscular coordination, blurred vision and severe fatigue.
Wahl, who developed a personalised Paleo plan, was diagnosed with the same disease in 2000. The plan has helped her manage and control the disease effectively for the past seven years. Vaccarino has been following the Wahl's Protocol Paleo plan and has seen remarkable changes. "My Multiple Sclerosis symptoms went away completely. It was all the diet," Chad told ABC News.
He said that he was sharing his story in the hopes that it might inspire the viewers the way Wahl's story inspired him. He, however, was unsure if the diet would work for everyone, but he stated that it did for him, and he is grateful. The Paleo diet stresses on the intake of high-quality animal proteins, healthy fats, low-starch vegetables and fruits, and excludes gluten, sugar, dairy, legumes, alcohol and processed foods.
Since he was diagnosed, he wanted to make his illness known to the world so as to bring awareness about it. "It's just a big thing to put out there into the universe, into the world. It's one step at a time. This is just the start of the conversation."
The Paleo diet has a huge fan following, many are celebrities. Jessica Alba, Joe Manganiello and Megan Fox are a few to mention. The outcomes of researches have further boosted the popularity of the diet. A recent study published in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that the Paleo diet is two times more effective than normal diets for weight loss and belly fat reduction.
The diet's founder and the author of The Paleo Diet for Athletes and The Paleo Diet Cookbook, Dr Loren Cordain, said, "Clinical trials have shown the Paleo diet is the optimum diet that can lower the risk of cardiovascular disease, blood pressure, markers of inflammation, help with weight loss, reduce acne, promote optimum health and athletic performance."
The diet has proved to reduce blood pressure, manage cancer, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, heart disease, depression and even Alzheimer's.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Sugar Is The Major Cause Of Obesity: Top 5 Ways To Reduce Your Sugar Intake
- Ebola Survivors' Blood Sold in Black Market, WHO Warns Buyers of Risks Including Death
- Jennifer Lopez's Diet and Fitness Secrets Revealed: Ways by Which She Keeps Her Lower Body Toned
- Hip Hop Mogul Russell Simmons Says In New Book That Meditation and Yoga Can Make You Rich
- Kids Whose Parents Went To College Eat Healthier, Study Finds
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown