One Direction Cashing In On The Success Of Five Seconds Of Summer—Report
By Tanya Diente | August 13, 2014 1:40 PM EST
A new report suggests members of One Direction are earning additional money from their investement with Five Seconds of Summer.
One Direction reportedly owns 50 percent stake of whatever profits the band makes. Each singer also gets a 10 percent share in the company. Documents reportedly also showed Liam Payne and Louis Tomlinson are directors of the company which is attributed to the 5SOS brand.
According to the site, One Mode Productions Ltd. was formed in 2012 with Liam and Louis as directors. Then, in 2013, the company applied for the 5SOS trademark and partnered with Calum Hood, Michael Clifford, Luke Hemmings and Ashton Irwin under the 5SOS enterprise.
A source told Mirror the One Direction members know "how loyal their following is so by buying into a similar act then urging fans to buy their records, they had a sure-fire hit."
"They are clearly all friends but they also have a business interest in making sure 5SOS does well," the source said.
Daily Star once suggested that One Direction may be overtaken by Five Seconds of Summer. This has reportedly even worried Simon Cowell.
According to the site, "The X Factor" judge warned the group of a threat from competition, specifically from their opening act in their "Where We Are" global tour.
"It does mean 1D have to up their game a bit. We knew a lot of boybands would follow but the competition is tough at the moment," he said.
When One Direction chose Five Seconds of Summer for their opening act in their tour, Simon Cowell reportedly thought it was a "strange decision," likening it to "the cuckoo in the nest."
One Direction profiting from the Aussie band will reportedly add more money to their already enormous fortune. Each member is speculated to already earn around £20 million each (about $33 million). However, a representative of 1D refused to comment on the group's finances.
However, this doesn't stop Louis Tomlinson from sharing how much he supports 5SOS on Twitter.
Hearing @5SOS on the radio is a great way to start the day. Proud of you lads !!
— Louis Tomlinson (@Louis_Tomlinson) February 20, 2014
Can't wait to have the @5SOS boys with us again on tour !! — Louis Tomlinson (@Louis_Tomlinson) March 1, 2014
New @5SOS video just come on the telly ! Soooo proud of you boys !! Well done!
— Louis Tomlinson (@Louis_Tomlinson) June 2, 2014
LOVE the new @5sos tune !! If you haven't already bought it ask yourself why!!? Here's the link http://t.co/OFLwkDuPvz — Louis Tomlinson (@Louis_Tomlinson) June 19, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Portia De Rossi And Ellen DeGeneres Address 'Epic Fight' Story
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 6 Spoilers: Abby Sciuto Talks Of Cote de Pablo's Character, 'I Loved Ziva But She Left Us' (Review)
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Xiaomi VP Hugo Barra Says ‘Apple iPhone 6 Is The Most Beautiful Smartphone Ever Built’
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown