One Direction Cashing In On The Success Of Five Seconds Of Summer—Report
By Tanya Diente | August 13, 2014 1:40 PM EST
A new report suggests members of One Direction are earning additional money from their investement with Five Seconds of Summer.
One Direction reportedly owns 50 percent stake of whatever profits the band makes. Each singer also gets a 10 percent share in the company. Documents reportedly also showed Liam Payne and Louis Tomlinson are directors of the company which is attributed to the 5SOS brand.
According to the site, One Mode Productions Ltd. was formed in 2012 with Liam and Louis as directors. Then, in 2013, the company applied for the 5SOS trademark and partnered with Calum Hood, Michael Clifford, Luke Hemmings and Ashton Irwin under the 5SOS enterprise.
A source told Mirror the One Direction members know "how loyal their following is so by buying into a similar act then urging fans to buy their records, they had a sure-fire hit."
"They are clearly all friends but they also have a business interest in making sure 5SOS does well," the source said.
Daily Star once suggested that One Direction may be overtaken by Five Seconds of Summer. This has reportedly even worried Simon Cowell.
According to the site, "The X Factor" judge warned the group of a threat from competition, specifically from their opening act in their "Where We Are" global tour.
"It does mean 1D have to up their game a bit. We knew a lot of boybands would follow but the competition is tough at the moment," he said.
When One Direction chose Five Seconds of Summer for their opening act in their tour, Simon Cowell reportedly thought it was a "strange decision," likening it to "the cuckoo in the nest."
One Direction profiting from the Aussie band will reportedly add more money to their already enormous fortune. Each member is speculated to already earn around £20 million each (about $33 million). However, a representative of 1D refused to comment on the group's finances.
However, this doesn't stop Louis Tomlinson from sharing how much he supports 5SOS on Twitter.
Hearing @5SOS on the radio is a great way to start the day. Proud of you lads !!
— Louis Tomlinson (@Louis_Tomlinson) February 20, 2014
Can't wait to have the @5SOS boys with us again on tour !! — Louis Tomlinson (@Louis_Tomlinson) March 1, 2014
New @5SOS video just come on the telly ! Soooo proud of you boys !! Well done!
— Louis Tomlinson (@Louis_Tomlinson) June 2, 2014
LOVE the new @5sos tune !! If you haven't already bought it ask yourself why!!? Here's the link http://t.co/OFLwkDuPvz — Louis Tomlinson (@Louis_Tomlinson) June 19, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia