One Direction Cashing In On The Success Of Five Seconds Of Summer—Report
By Tanya Diente | August 13, 2014 1:40 PM EST
A new report suggests members of One Direction are earning additional money from their investement with Five Seconds of Summer.
One Direction reportedly owns 50 percent stake of whatever profits the band makes. Each singer also gets a 10 percent share in the company. Documents reportedly also showed Liam Payne and Louis Tomlinson are directors of the company which is attributed to the 5SOS brand.
According to the site, One Mode Productions Ltd. was formed in 2012 with Liam and Louis as directors. Then, in 2013, the company applied for the 5SOS trademark and partnered with Calum Hood, Michael Clifford, Luke Hemmings and Ashton Irwin under the 5SOS enterprise.
A source told Mirror the One Direction members know "how loyal their following is so by buying into a similar act then urging fans to buy their records, they had a sure-fire hit."
"They are clearly all friends but they also have a business interest in making sure 5SOS does well," the source said.
Daily Star once suggested that One Direction may be overtaken by Five Seconds of Summer. This has reportedly even worried Simon Cowell.
According to the site, "The X Factor" judge warned the group of a threat from competition, specifically from their opening act in their "Where We Are" global tour.
"It does mean 1D have to up their game a bit. We knew a lot of boybands would follow but the competition is tough at the moment," he said.
When One Direction chose Five Seconds of Summer for their opening act in their tour, Simon Cowell reportedly thought it was a "strange decision," likening it to "the cuckoo in the nest."
One Direction profiting from the Aussie band will reportedly add more money to their already enormous fortune. Each member is speculated to already earn around £20 million each (about $33 million). However, a representative of 1D refused to comment on the group's finances.
However, this doesn't stop Louis Tomlinson from sharing how much he supports 5SOS on Twitter.
Hearing @5SOS on the radio is a great way to start the day. Proud of you lads !!
— Louis Tomlinson (@Louis_Tomlinson) February 20, 2014
Can't wait to have the @5SOS boys with us again on tour !! — Louis Tomlinson (@Louis_Tomlinson) March 1, 2014
New @5SOS video just come on the telly ! Soooo proud of you boys !! Well done!
— Louis Tomlinson (@Louis_Tomlinson) June 2, 2014
LOVE the new @5sos tune !! If you haven't already bought it ask yourself why!!? Here's the link http://t.co/OFLwkDuPvz — Louis Tomlinson (@Louis_Tomlinson) June 19, 2014
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers For Sept. 22-26, 2014: Consequences Of The Crichton-Clark Blast
- 'Downton Abbey' Spoilers: 'Surprising New Stories' In Season 5, George Clooney's Cameo Appearance
- Ryan Gosling And Eva Mendes Gushes Over Newborn Daughter
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- ‘Top Gun 2’ Update: ‘The Jungle Book’ Writer Onboard, Tom Cruise Likely To Reprise His Role