Robin Williams’ Death Calls For Australians To Support Each Other
By Athena Yenko | August 13, 2014 1:34 PM EST
The death of renowned actor Robin Williams is an opportune time for Australians to build up the attitude of supporting each other during sad times.
U.S. actor Robin Williams poses for photographers during a photocall in Rome in this file picture taken November 15, 2005. Oscar-winning actor and comedian Williams was found dead on Monday from an apparent suicide at his home in Northern California, Marin County Sheriff's Office said. He was 63.
According to Lifeline Australia, the death of actor and artist Robin Williams caused Australians the feeling of a sense of incredible loss.
Williams made two attempts in ending his life, Marin County Sheriff's Department said in a statement. His body was discovered by his personal assistant. Preliminary investigations found that he died of asphyxia. A toxicology report is due two to six weeks.
Williams had been seeking treatment for depression as he was vocal about his struggles with alcohol and cocaine. He had entered rehabilitation for quite some time in his aim for sobriety.
Lifeline Australia Chairman John Brogden said that Williams' death is one of the times when Australians should share the sense of profound loss and sadness.
"Robin Williams was someone who came into the hearts and lives of generations of Australians. We were struck by his brilliance and his humanity. In particular, Robin Williams tackled the issues and challenges in life many of us have experienced. To hear today of his tragic death leaves us feeling bewildered," Brogden said.
In Australia, suicide is a strong public health concern.
Suicide is claiming the lives of 2, 415 Australians per year, according to a research release by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) dated March 2014.
According to the data, 1, 901 males and 634 females died by suicide in 2012 alone. There was a total of 2, 535 deaths which equates to an average of 6.9 deaths by suicide each day.
The key points of the research are as follows:
- The highest age-specific suicide rate for males in 2012 was observed in the 85+ age group (37.6 per 100,000). This rate was considerably higher than the age-specific suicide rate observed in all other age groups, with the next highest age-specific suicide rate being in the 80-84 year agegroup (28.1 per 100,000) and the 45-49 year age group (26.9 per 100,000). The lowest age-specific suicide rate for males was in the 15-19 year age group (9.3 per 100,000) and the 0-14 year age group (0.3 per 100,000).
- The highest age-specific suicide rate for females in 2012 was observed in the 80-84agegroup (9.5 per 100,000), closely followed by the 50-54 age group (9.0 per 100,000) and the 15-19 age group (8.3 per 100,000). The lowest age-specific suicide rate for females was observed in the 65-69 age group (4.1 per 100,000) and the 0-14 age group (0.4 per 100,000)
- In 2012, approximately75% of people who died by suicide were males and 25% were females.
- Suicide accounted for 1.7% of death from all causes in 2012. In males, 2.5% of all deaths were attributed to suicide, while the rate of females was 0.9%.
Lifeline: 13 11 14
Suicide Call Back Service: 1300 659 467
1300 78 99 78
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kendall Jenner's Secret To A Slim and Sexy Body: All About Her Diet And Fitness Routine [Watch Video]
- Bill Gates Believes Ebola Could Spread Outside West Africa, Warns Countries Should Strengthen Healthcare
- Sleep Deprivation Among Teens Is The Main Cause of Low Academic Performance, Bad Behaviour And Lethargy, Finds Study
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- 5 Myths About The Gluten-Free Diet Every Fad Fanatic Should Know
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate