Robin Williams’ Death Calls For Australians To Support Each Other
By Athena Yenko | August 13, 2014 1:34 PM EST
The death of renowned actor Robin Williams is an opportune time for Australians to build up the attitude of supporting each other during sad times.
U.S. actor Robin Williams poses for photographers during a photocall in Rome in this file picture taken November 15, 2005. Oscar-winning actor and comedian Williams was found dead on Monday from an apparent suicide at his home in Northern California, Marin County Sheriff's Office said. He was 63.
According to Lifeline Australia, the death of actor and artist Robin Williams caused Australians the feeling of a sense of incredible loss.
Williams made two attempts in ending his life, Marin County Sheriff's Department said in a statement. His body was discovered by his personal assistant. Preliminary investigations found that he died of asphyxia. A toxicology report is due two to six weeks.
Williams had been seeking treatment for depression as he was vocal about his struggles with alcohol and cocaine. He had entered rehabilitation for quite some time in his aim for sobriety.
Lifeline Australia Chairman John Brogden said that Williams' death is one of the times when Australians should share the sense of profound loss and sadness.
"Robin Williams was someone who came into the hearts and lives of generations of Australians. We were struck by his brilliance and his humanity. In particular, Robin Williams tackled the issues and challenges in life many of us have experienced. To hear today of his tragic death leaves us feeling bewildered," Brogden said.
In Australia, suicide is a strong public health concern.
Suicide is claiming the lives of 2, 415 Australians per year, according to a research release by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) dated March 2014.
According to the data, 1, 901 males and 634 females died by suicide in 2012 alone. There was a total of 2, 535 deaths which equates to an average of 6.9 deaths by suicide each day.
The key points of the research are as follows:
- The highest age-specific suicide rate for males in 2012 was observed in the 85+ age group (37.6 per 100,000). This rate was considerably higher than the age-specific suicide rate observed in all other age groups, with the next highest age-specific suicide rate being in the 80-84 year agegroup (28.1 per 100,000) and the 45-49 year age group (26.9 per 100,000). The lowest age-specific suicide rate for males was in the 15-19 year age group (9.3 per 100,000) and the 0-14 year age group (0.3 per 100,000).
- The highest age-specific suicide rate for females in 2012 was observed in the 80-84agegroup (9.5 per 100,000), closely followed by the 50-54 age group (9.0 per 100,000) and the 15-19 age group (8.3 per 100,000). The lowest age-specific suicide rate for females was observed in the 65-69 age group (4.1 per 100,000) and the 0-14 age group (0.4 per 100,000)
- In 2012, approximately75% of people who died by suicide were males and 25% were females.
- Suicide accounted for 1.7% of death from all causes in 2012. In males, 2.5% of all deaths were attributed to suicide, while the rate of females was 0.9%.
Lifeline: 13 11 14
Suicide Call Back Service: 1300 659 467
1300 78 99 78
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Spreads Through Red Cross Vaccine - Ghana Nurse ‘Testifies’; The Truth About Red Cross
- Ebola News Regarding Wortham's Kindergarterners Infected is False, Angry Reactions
- Ebola Outbreak Blamed on Infected Bushmeat; First Family to Catch Virus Hunted Bats
- Ebola Is Changing The Religious Landscape In West Africa
- Ebola Outbreak To Continue Until Effective Vaccine Surfaces; 120,000 Women To Die of Childbirth
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar