Ebola Update: Canada to Donate 1,000 Experimental Vaccine Doses VSV-EBOV to WHO
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | August 13, 2014 1:31 PM EST
Some 800 - 1,000 doses of an experimental vaccine will be donated by Canada to the World Health Organisation (WHO) to help curb the maddening spread of the Ebola virus in the African region.
Workers from Doctors Without Borders unload emergency medical supplies to deal with an Ebola outbreak in Conakry, Guinea, March 23, 2014. Health officials fighting an outbreak of Ebola in Guinea on Sunday dispatched specialised medical equipment, imposed restrictions on funerals and sought to contain panic to prevent the fever from spreading. There have been 29 confirmed deaths from the haemorrhagic fever among 59 people killed by a mysterious illness in southeastern Guinea since early February, international medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) said. Picture taken March 23, 2014.
Rona Ambrose, Federal Health Minister, said the made-in-Canada experimental Ebola vaccine VSV-EBOV has never been tested in humans but has shown promise in animal trials.
"Canada feels this experimental vaccine is a global resource, so in response we are sharing it with the international community, while keeping a small supply in Canada," Ambrose said.
The experimental Ebola vaccine was developed by the Public Health Agency of Canada.
The final number of doses provided will be based on the amount required for applied research and clinical trials. Canada will also keep a small supply of the experimental vaccine in the unlikely event it is needed for compassionate use in Canada.
Ambrose likewise said Canada will be providing an additional $185,000 to the WHO to support infection prevention and control, enhanced surveillance and outbreak response capacity in the affected region.
Canada has so far $5,195,000 in support of humanitarian, security and public health interventions to address the spread of the Ebola virus in West Africa.
The 2014 Ebola outbreak is so far the world's largest and deadliest. It has killed 1,013, majority of which came from Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.
Dr. Greg Taylor, deputy chief public health officer of the Public Health Agency of Canada told Reuters the first doses would likely be made available to health care workers in Africa.
"You really don't know how safe it is, you don't know what the side effects are going to be. But in this extraordinary circumstance in Africa right now, we're trying to do everything we can to assist."
Ten doses of the vaccine, meantime, were sent to a Geneva hospital, as per request of WHO and the relief agency Medecins Sans Frontières (Doctors Without Borders).
Those doses will be maintained as an emergency supply just in case one of their response workers become infected, Taylor said.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Global Air Travel Alert: Air France Pilots Stage Labour Strike
- West Africa Ebola Epidemic To Last 12-18 Months More
- Pope Francis Blasted For Defying Catholic Doctrine, Marries 20 Couples Who Have Cohabited And Had Children In No Else But St Peter's Basilica
- Venezuelans Using Made-in-China Silicones Because Of Breast Implant Shortage
- Security for Pope Francis' Albania Trip At Status Quo, Won’t Be Reinforced Despite ISIS Threat – Vatican
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date