Tunisian Marwa Amri Breaks History, No. 1 in Wrestling World Rankings
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | August 13, 2014 12:45 PM EST
Marwa Amri of Tunisia rewrote the wrestling history books after becoming the first-ever wrestler from the African continent to rise to no. 1 sport in the world rankings of the sport.
The organizing body in the sport, the International Federation of Associated Wrestling Styles (FILA) made the official announcement on Thursday (Australian time) confirming Amri’s status as the best in the 55-kilogram division in freestyle wrestling. She became the first-ever wrestler from Africa to rule the rankings both in the freestyle and Greco-Roman wrestling.
The 25-year-old Tunisian won the championship at the Grand Prix of Spain and Olympic tourney in Greece in July and August 2014. For 2014, the Tunisian has won five titles overall.
As per the FILA Web site, "wrestlers are ranked according to a comprehensive analysis of their performance in international competition over the previous 12 months.” This means that Amri has had the most consistent top performance in the past year in her division.
Here are the other top-ranked wrestlers in various weight categories in the women's division:
1. Mariya Stadnyk (Azerbaijan)
2. Eri Tosaka (Japan)
3. Sun Yanan (China)
1. Saori Yoshida (Japan)
2.Maria Gurova (Russia)
3. Sofia Mattson (Sweden)
1. Kaori Icho (Japan)
2. Risako Kawai (Japan)
3. Valeria Koblova-Zholobova (Russia)
1. Yulia Ratkevich (Azerbaijan)
2. Michelle Fazzari (Canada)
3. Katsuki Sakagami (Japan)
1. Anastasia Grigorjeva (Latvia)
2. Jackeline Rentaria Castillo (Colombia)
3. Elena Pirozhkova (USA)
1. Natalia Vorbieva (Russia)
2. Jenny Fransson (Sweden)
3. Alina Makhinya (Ukraine)
1. Erica Wiebe (Canada)
2. Hiroe Suzuki (Japan)
3. Vasilisa Marzaliuk (Belarus)
Amri’s feat is impressive but the Japanese’s consistency across all weight divisions is also notable. From the eight categories, seven from Japan are inside the top three in the respective rankings of the weight divisions.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Men’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 – Wawrinka, Nadal, Djokovic, and Cilic
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- Manchester United News: Man Utd. vs QPR Preview
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown