Robin Williams Update: Actor Hanged Himself Using Belt, Toxicology Results in 2-6 Weeks
By Riza Ornos | August 13, 2014 10:43 AM EST
Found dead at his California home yesterday, Robin Williams died due to asphyxia from hanging himself according to the police reports. Confirming a day after the comedian's death, the Marin County Sheriff's office revealed that he used a belt to hang himself and has "acute superficial" cuts on his wrists, with a pocket blade found near his body.
Based on forensic examination, there is no evidence or signs of a struggle but still waiting for toxicology results to confirm everything since the actor suffered from substance abuse and depression. Grieving fans and family have to wait for about 2-6 weeks for toxicology report, based on a police statement.
It's hard to believe that a man so outwardly successful, loved and admired by the world has taken his own life. Died at the age of 63, Williams' body was found in the morning of Aug. 11 by his personal assistant, and called 911 at approximately 11:55 A.M.
The police arrived at the scene at 12:00 P.M. and was pronounced dead by firefighters from Tiburon Fire Department at 12:02. The actor was last seen alive with his wife, Susan Schneider, at 10:30 P.M. Sunday, Aug. 11, when she went to bed and left their home while the actor is still asleep. William's personal assistant became suspicious when he failed to respond to knocks.
"At that time the personal assistant was able to gain access to Mr. Williams' bedroom and entered the bed room to find Mr. Williams clothed in a seated position, unresponsive, and with a belt secured around his neck with the other end of the belt wedged between the closed closet door and door frame," according to a statement of Lieutenant Keith Boyd of the Marin County Sheriff's Office.
Schneider released a statement yesterday to announce her husband's death, and wishes that all his fans and friends will not focus on his death but on his memories and joy that he gave throughout his acting career. For now the family is asking the public to honor their privacy as they grieve for the sudden and tragic loss.
Still an active investigation on the cause, manner and circumstances of the actor's death, the Sheriff's department will not certify the Williams' death until they will have the conclusion of the investigation. A press release will be scheduled once they concluded their investigation and with the final results of the toxicology.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around