Robin Williams Update: Actor Hanged Himself Using Belt, Toxicology Results in 2-6 Weeks
By Riza Ornos | August 13, 2014 10:43 AM EST
Found dead at his California home yesterday, Robin Williams died due to asphyxia from hanging himself according to the police reports. Confirming a day after the comedian's death, the Marin County Sheriff's office revealed that he used a belt to hang himself and has "acute superficial" cuts on his wrists, with a pocket blade found near his body.
Based on forensic examination, there is no evidence or signs of a struggle but still waiting for toxicology results to confirm everything since the actor suffered from substance abuse and depression. Grieving fans and family have to wait for about 2-6 weeks for toxicology report, based on a police statement.
It's hard to believe that a man so outwardly successful, loved and admired by the world has taken his own life. Died at the age of 63, Williams' body was found in the morning of Aug. 11 by his personal assistant, and called 911 at approximately 11:55 A.M.
The police arrived at the scene at 12:00 P.M. and was pronounced dead by firefighters from Tiburon Fire Department at 12:02. The actor was last seen alive with his wife, Susan Schneider, at 10:30 P.M. Sunday, Aug. 11, when she went to bed and left their home while the actor is still asleep. William's personal assistant became suspicious when he failed to respond to knocks.
"At that time the personal assistant was able to gain access to Mr. Williams' bedroom and entered the bed room to find Mr. Williams clothed in a seated position, unresponsive, and with a belt secured around his neck with the other end of the belt wedged between the closed closet door and door frame," according to a statement of Lieutenant Keith Boyd of the Marin County Sheriff's Office.
Schneider released a statement yesterday to announce her husband's death, and wishes that all his fans and friends will not focus on his death but on his memories and joy that he gave throughout his acting career. For now the family is asking the public to honor their privacy as they grieve for the sudden and tragic loss.
Still an active investigation on the cause, manner and circumstances of the actor's death, the Sheriff's department will not certify the Williams' death until they will have the conclusion of the investigation. A press release will be scheduled once they concluded their investigation and with the final results of the toxicology.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 1, 2014: Hope Reveals Something To Wyatt And Katie Almost Loses A Loved One [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5: Human Flesh Burgers Unveiled To Celebrate TWD’s New Season
- George Clooney Divorced Talia Balsam Years Before Getting Married to Amal Alamuddin: Know About Clooney's Ex Wife
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge