PS4 vs. Xbox One: PS4 Firmware 2.0 Introduces Share Play as Microsoft Brings TV Streaming to Mobile
By Gel Galang | August 13, 2014 10:37 AM EST
Just weeks after releasing the PS4 Firmware 1.74 and 1.75 Update, Sony has taken to Gamescom to announce its next system update, this time tagged as the PS4 Firmware 2.0.
Shoppers browse for video games near a poster advertising a FIFA soccer video game played on Sony Corp's PlayStation 4 console, at an electronics retail store in Tokyo June 10, 2014. Sony joined other sponsors on Sunday to call on soccer's rulers to deal thoroughly with allegations of bribery to secure the 2022 World Cup for Qatar, an issue overshadowing this week's kickoff in Brazil. With its four yearly showpiece event only four days away, soccer's governing body FIFA is on the defensive, conducting an internal investigation into the decisions to hold the 2018 World Cup in Russia and the 2022 Cup in Qatar. Both countries have denied any wrongdoing.
"Let's go a step further together. Let's go from sitting back and watching friends play to actually jumping into games remotely and sharing great experiences together in real time. Today at the PlayStation press conference at Gamescom, we will deliver on yet another promise from the PS4 announcement and introduce Share Play, coming to PlayStation 4 later this fall," Scott McCarthy, SCEA director for product planning and software innovation, said at the PlayStation Blog.
Share Play is like having a "virtual couch" for the PS4, where you will have an online local co-op by letting you invite a friend to a game and playing against him, even when he doesn't have a copy of the game.
Touted as a first-of-its-kind feature, the Share Play even lets you jump into a game to assist your friend with his progress. So the next time you are stuck on a level, you can easily hand over the controls to your friend, even if you are not in the same room or even have the same DualShock 4 controller.
Share Play will be the biggest feature coming to the PS4 2.0 Update, scheduled for a fall release. But according to PlayStation Blog, there will be other features, such as broadcast and video share, enhanced real-time activity in What's New and instant access for friends' broadcasts, among others.
TV Streaming to Mobile Made Possible
Microsoft is putting more emphasis on the Xbox One's media components, as it revealed the new features coming with the next system update.
Announcing it over its press conference in Cologne, Germany, Microsoft had introduced TV streaming over the home network. PC World reports that the preview of the Xbox One update will be rolled out to select testers. And this update will already allow the ability to stream TV from the console to the Microsoft SmartGlass app for all three OS, the iOS, Android and Windows.
However, the catch is that the streaming will only be possible if the media you're sharing to is on the same network as the Xbox One, and that it will be coming first in Europe. the TV streaming feature to SmartGlass on the new Xbox One Digital TV Tuner will also first land in the U.K., Italy, Spain, Germany and France in the fall, while the U.S. has not been given any release dates yet.
The last of the hardware coming to the Xbox One is a new media player, which allows video playback from a USB or DLNA-compatible connected device. It will support a more varied array of file formats for the Xbox one.
The upcoming Xbox One updates will bring in more features, including booting TV outside of standby mode for the Xbox One, a live TV guide on the bottom screen for OneGuide, a new Friends section, Snap Center for app and feature viewing, and an improved Xbox Messages app that now features threaded messages.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ‘Minecraft PS Vita,’ PS4 And Xbox One Updates And More On The Microsoft Deal
- 'The Sims 4' Mods: Buff Emotion Changes, Pay Very Low Bills And Enable Advanced Debug For Cheats
- iPhone 6 Plus Sold Out Apple Store Crash Due to Pre-orders: Where to Place Your Orders and the Packages Offered in the US and UK
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Confirmed With Demo, More Info Revealed
- Meet 3 New 'Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire' Mega Evolutions And Legendary Rayquaza
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up