Maurice Blackburn Lead Large Class Action vs 5 Aussie Banks Over Credit Card Late Fees
By Vittorio Hernandez | August 13, 2014 9:04 AM EST
A Westpac ATM in Hamilton, New Zealand
It would also file similar lawsuits versus National Australia Bank, American Express and the Commonwealth Bank. The class action suit, the broadest in Australian legal history, includes all customers of the target financial institutions who had been affected by late fees that Blackburn described as excessive.
It is different from previous lawsuits which were closed or required victims to register to benefit from the claim against the banks. The previous closed action suits have over 180,000 registered claimants seeking damages of $223 million.
The sheer number of potential beneficiaries of the lawsuit makes it hard to provide a ballpark figure on the size or value of the potential claim. It has so far no limit on how far back the alleged overcharges apply, but ANZ will ask the court next week for a time frame.
Maurice Blackburn has the expertise when it comes to these kinds of legal action since it enjoyed a partial victory against ANZ in a Federal Court case initiated in 2010 when Justice Michelle Gordon ruled in February that ANZ's credit card late fees of up to $35 were extravagant and unconscionable when the real cost to the bank of such expenses is only about 50c.
The firm estimates the banks charged customers $604 million as exception fees between June 2099 and July 2010, collected when customers pay their credit card fees late.
The law firm had also initiated similar lawsuits against Citibank, Commonwealth Bank of Australia, NAB and Westpac.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Black Friday Ad 2014 Update: Walmart Black Friday Store Maps Which Have In-Store Information On Deals And Doorbusters Officially Released [WATCH VIDEO]
- Target Black Friday 2014 Store Maps App Featuring In-Store Deals And Doorbusters Available Now On Apple Store And Google Play Store, Plus Check Out The Target Black Friday 2014 Ad [WATCH VIDEO]
- Gina Rinehart Loses Bid To Keep Family Feud Lawsuit Details Private; 2 Estranged Children Seek Millions In Mining Profit
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports