‘The Voice Australia’ Winner Anja Nissen’s Debut Album Sells Only 1952 Copies
By Anne Lu | August 13, 2014 3:48 AM EST
“The Voice Australia” winner Anja Nissen might have won the reality talent show through public votes, but she isn’t winning any album sales.
According to news.com.au, the 18-year-old current “The Voice” crown holder’s debut album sold only 1952 copies in its first week.
The self-titled “Anja Nissen” has 11 tracks that are cover songs from other artists, such as “Irreplaceable” by Beyonce, “I Won’t Give Up” by Jason Mraz and “I Have Nothing” by Whitney Houston. It debuted at number 11 on the ARIA album chart for the week.
Her predecessors fared a lot better than her in terms of sales. Karise Eden, the first winner of the show in 2012, sold 35,621 copies of “My Journey” for the first week, while Harrison Craig’s “More Than a Dream” was down at 13,167 copies.
Both past winners had a happier ending, though. Karise’s covers album debuted at number one on the ARIA Albums Chart and was certified double platinum.
Harrison’s, on the other hand, reached number one on the iTunes chart, and peaked at number one in both ARIA and Recorded Music NZ charts.
Anja’s pitiful album sales may be due to a number of factors, including declining ratings performance of “The Voice Australia,” which attracted just 1.6 million viewers during its season finale on July 21.
It may also be because of the fact that the album had no accompanying original single to promote it.
She had already recorded the single “My Girls,” written by “The Voice Kids Australia” coach Delta Goodrem, but it was axed just days before the release.
According to Anja, her coach will.i.am didn’t think that “My Girls” was Anja’s style so he ordered it cut from her album.
Will.i.am replaced the axed song with “So Excited,” which Anja has recorded with him in Los Angeles.
The new song will also feature “The X Factor Australia” judge Redfoo, who will film his parts for the music video in Sydney.
“It’s an anthemic club track that doesn’t take itself too seriously,” her manager Michael Parisi was quoted by news.com.au as saying.
“So Excited” will be included in Anja’s first original album.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- Kristen Stewart ‘Not In Love’ With ‘Equals’ Co-star Nicholas Hoult -- Reports
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar