‘The Voice Australia’ Winner Anja Nissen’s Debut Album Sells Only 1952 Copies
By Anne Lu | August 13, 2014 3:48 AM EST
“The Voice Australia” winner Anja Nissen might have won the reality talent show through public votes, but she isn’t winning any album sales.
According to news.com.au, the 18-year-old current “The Voice” crown holder’s debut album sold only 1952 copies in its first week.
The self-titled “Anja Nissen” has 11 tracks that are cover songs from other artists, such as “Irreplaceable” by Beyonce, “I Won’t Give Up” by Jason Mraz and “I Have Nothing” by Whitney Houston. It debuted at number 11 on the ARIA album chart for the week.
Her predecessors fared a lot better than her in terms of sales. Karise Eden, the first winner of the show in 2012, sold 35,621 copies of “My Journey” for the first week, while Harrison Craig’s “More Than a Dream” was down at 13,167 copies.
Both past winners had a happier ending, though. Karise’s covers album debuted at number one on the ARIA Albums Chart and was certified double platinum.
Harrison’s, on the other hand, reached number one on the iTunes chart, and peaked at number one in both ARIA and Recorded Music NZ charts.
Anja’s pitiful album sales may be due to a number of factors, including declining ratings performance of “The Voice Australia,” which attracted just 1.6 million viewers during its season finale on July 21.
It may also be because of the fact that the album had no accompanying original single to promote it.
She had already recorded the single “My Girls,” written by “The Voice Kids Australia” coach Delta Goodrem, but it was axed just days before the release.
According to Anja, her coach will.i.am didn’t think that “My Girls” was Anja’s style so he ordered it cut from her album.
Will.i.am replaced the axed song with “So Excited,” which Anja has recorded with him in Los Angeles.
The new song will also feature “The X Factor Australia” judge Redfoo, who will film his parts for the music video in Sydney.
“It’s an anthemic club track that doesn’t take itself too seriously,” her manager Michael Parisi was quoted by news.com.au as saying.
“So Excited” will be included in Anja’s first original album.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Premiere Questions: 'Frozen' Story Kicks Off, Queen Elsa vs Emma Swan vs The Evil Queen - New Story Unfolds [SPOILERS]
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate