‘The Voice Australia’ Winner Anja Nissen’s Debut Album Sells Only 1952 Copies
By Anne Lu | August 13, 2014 3:48 AM EST
“The Voice Australia” winner Anja Nissen might have won the reality talent show through public votes, but she isn’t winning any album sales.
According to news.com.au, the 18-year-old current “The Voice” crown holder’s debut album sold only 1952 copies in its first week.
The self-titled “Anja Nissen” has 11 tracks that are cover songs from other artists, such as “Irreplaceable” by Beyonce, “I Won’t Give Up” by Jason Mraz and “I Have Nothing” by Whitney Houston. It debuted at number 11 on the ARIA album chart for the week.
Her predecessors fared a lot better than her in terms of sales. Karise Eden, the first winner of the show in 2012, sold 35,621 copies of “My Journey” for the first week, while Harrison Craig’s “More Than a Dream” was down at 13,167 copies.
Both past winners had a happier ending, though. Karise’s covers album debuted at number one on the ARIA Albums Chart and was certified double platinum.
Harrison’s, on the other hand, reached number one on the iTunes chart, and peaked at number one in both ARIA and Recorded Music NZ charts.
Anja’s pitiful album sales may be due to a number of factors, including declining ratings performance of “The Voice Australia,” which attracted just 1.6 million viewers during its season finale on July 21.
It may also be because of the fact that the album had no accompanying original single to promote it.
She had already recorded the single “My Girls,” written by “The Voice Kids Australia” coach Delta Goodrem, but it was axed just days before the release.
According to Anja, her coach will.i.am didn’t think that “My Girls” was Anja’s style so he ordered it cut from her album.
Will.i.am replaced the axed song with “So Excited,” which Anja has recorded with him in Los Angeles.
The new song will also feature “The X Factor Australia” judge Redfoo, who will film his parts for the music video in Sydney.
“It’s an anthemic club track that doesn’t take itself too seriously,” her manager Michael Parisi was quoted by news.com.au as saying.
“So Excited” will be included in Anja’s first original album.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories