‘The Voice Australia’ Winner Anja Nissen’s Debut Album Sells Only 1952 Copies
By Anne Lu | August 13, 2014 3:48 AM EST
“The Voice Australia” winner Anja Nissen might have won the reality talent show through public votes, but she isn’t winning any album sales.
According to news.com.au, the 18-year-old current “The Voice” crown holder’s debut album sold only 1952 copies in its first week.
The self-titled “Anja Nissen” has 11 tracks that are cover songs from other artists, such as “Irreplaceable” by Beyonce, “I Won’t Give Up” by Jason Mraz and “I Have Nothing” by Whitney Houston. It debuted at number 11 on the ARIA album chart for the week.
Her predecessors fared a lot better than her in terms of sales. Karise Eden, the first winner of the show in 2012, sold 35,621 copies of “My Journey” for the first week, while Harrison Craig’s “More Than a Dream” was down at 13,167 copies.
Both past winners had a happier ending, though. Karise’s covers album debuted at number one on the ARIA Albums Chart and was certified double platinum.
Harrison’s, on the other hand, reached number one on the iTunes chart, and peaked at number one in both ARIA and Recorded Music NZ charts.
Anja’s pitiful album sales may be due to a number of factors, including declining ratings performance of “The Voice Australia,” which attracted just 1.6 million viewers during its season finale on July 21.
It may also be because of the fact that the album had no accompanying original single to promote it.
She had already recorded the single “My Girls,” written by “The Voice Kids Australia” coach Delta Goodrem, but it was axed just days before the release.
According to Anja, her coach will.i.am didn’t think that “My Girls” was Anja’s style so he ordered it cut from her album.
Will.i.am replaced the axed song with “So Excited,” which Anja has recorded with him in Los Angeles.
The new song will also feature “The X Factor Australia” judge Redfoo, who will film his parts for the music video in Sydney.
“It’s an anthemic club track that doesn’t take itself too seriously,” her manager Michael Parisi was quoted by news.com.au as saying.
“So Excited” will be included in Anja’s first original album.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America's Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Winner: Betting Odds And Judges Predict Who Could Win The Finals
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’ Season 8 Spoilers: Nine Moments From Episode 1, The Locomotion Interruption
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Preview: Sam’s Fairy Tale Date, Belly Dancing Time, Who Exits
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers