‘Game of Thrones’ Author George R.R. Martin Sort of Confirms the R+L=J Theory – Report [VIDEO]
By Anne Lu | August 12, 2014 10:43 PM EST
George R.R. Martin might just have confirmed the famous R+L=J theory from the “Game of Thrones”.
At the Edinburgh international book festival in Scotland on Monday, the “A Song of Ice and Fire” novelist answered fans’ questions about his work, and might just have given a little bit too much information than he intended to.
George R.R. Martin, author of the "Song of Ice and Fire" fantasy series that is the basis of the television series "Game of Thrones", gestures during his masterclass at the Neuchatel International Fantastic Film Festival (NIFFF) in Neuchatel July 10, 2014.
Possible spoilers from “A Song of Ice and Fire” books and the TV series “Game of Thrones” ahead. Proceed with caution.
In the books, Jon Snow is known as the bastard son of Ned Stark. His mother has not been named, and the fans have formed their theories on who that is. The most popular one is called R+L=J, which basically explains who his real parents are and why they are kept secret from him.
According to it, Jon’s mother is Ned’s sister Lyanna, who demanded a promise from her brother to keep her identity a secret from Jon. The father isn’t Ned as well, but Rhaegar Targaryen, who either kidnapped Lyanna or ran away with her.
With Robert Baratheon ordering the slaughter of all Targaryens, Jon, being a half Targaryen, would be in danger. That’s why the dying Lyanna asked her brother to claim Jon as his own.
YouTube user Alt Shift X has put into video the R+L=J theory:
Again, this is still a theory because Martin hasn’t told anyone about Jon’s parentage, not even “Game of Thrones” creators David Benioff and DB Weiss.
Weiss even claimed at one point that Martin tested them first before allowing them to film the series by asking them who Jon Snow’s mother is.
Nevertheless, Sean Bean, who played Ned Stark, has confirmed part of the R+L=J theory in an interview with Vulture in July, saying “I’m obviously not Jon Snow’s dad.”
It’s unclear if Bean truly knew about the identity of Jon Snow’s parents, but it appeared that he was just talking about his own opinion.
After all, there’s only one person who knows the answer for sure.
And that person just sort of confirmed the validity of the most famous theory.
“I struggle with this because I do want to surprise my readers, delight them and take them in directions they didn’t see coming. I hate predictable fiction as a reader. I want to surprise and delight my reader and take the story in directions they didn’t see coming. Some readers in Internet boards got the clues. Do I change it? No, I can’t, as I had planted them and it would be a mess,” he said at the Edinburgh book festival, as quoted by Gizmodo.
“I’ve been planting all these clues that the butler did it, then you’re halfway through a series and suddenly thousands of people have figured out that the butler did it, and then you say the chambermaid did it? No, you can’t do that.”
Granted that he did not mention specifically the R+L=J theory, but not only is it the most popular theory, it’s also the most intriguing mystery in the book that fans have their own answer to.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists