Coming Soon: PG13 for Paul George After Jersey Number Switch
By James Patrick Quizon | August 12, 2014 3:05 PM EST
PG13 simply sounds more apt. Paul George, who made the headlines recently because of a horrific season-ending injury, is switching to jersey number 13 after using the No. 24 in the early part of his NBA career.
NBA: Miami Heat at Indiana Pacers
Popular sportswriter Bill Simmons, who is the creator of the sports-pop culture Web site Grantland, offered the idea in one of his articles in May 2013.
“By the way, I have some advice that will help Paul George become a household name. He should change his number immediately from no. 24 to no. 13,” Simmons stated then.
“Here’s why … can you think of anyone being helped by a nickname more than Paul George suddenly becoming “PG-13?” Uh-oh, PG-13 is heating up! Warning, this game contains strong language, violence and a possible heat check! We might have to make this performance rated “R” — it’s too hot to handle! Let’s make this happen already.”
According to an ESPN report on Tuesday, George took Simmons’ cue and applied for the jersey number switch, which will be approved by the league for the 2014-2015 NBA season.
George has also been giving clues on his Twitter account of the eventual change and also mentioned it when he was a guest in the Jimmy Kimmel Show last January 2014.
— Paul George (@Paul_George24) August 5, 2014
(YouTube/Jimmy Kimmel Live)
Unfortunately for George and his fans, they won’t see the Pacers forward donning the jersey with a new number for the upcoming season as he is expected to miss the entirety of the 2014-2015 season and even months after that.
George suffered the injury late in July 2014 when he was playing in a scrimmage for Team USA which will participate in the 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain scheduled from August 30 to September 15.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3