Coming Soon: PG13 for Paul George After Jersey Number Switch
By James Patrick Quizon | August 12, 2014 3:05 PM EST
PG13 simply sounds more apt. Paul George, who made the headlines recently because of a horrific season-ending injury, is switching to jersey number 13 after using the No. 24 in the early part of his NBA career.
NBA: Miami Heat at Indiana Pacers
Popular sportswriter Bill Simmons, who is the creator of the sports-pop culture Web site Grantland, offered the idea in one of his articles in May 2013.
“By the way, I have some advice that will help Paul George become a household name. He should change his number immediately from no. 24 to no. 13,” Simmons stated then.
“Here’s why … can you think of anyone being helped by a nickname more than Paul George suddenly becoming “PG-13?” Uh-oh, PG-13 is heating up! Warning, this game contains strong language, violence and a possible heat check! We might have to make this performance rated “R” — it’s too hot to handle! Let’s make this happen already.”
According to an ESPN report on Tuesday, George took Simmons’ cue and applied for the jersey number switch, which will be approved by the league for the 2014-2015 NBA season.
George has also been giving clues on his Twitter account of the eventual change and also mentioned it when he was a guest in the Jimmy Kimmel Show last January 2014.
— Paul George (@Paul_George24) August 5, 2014
(YouTube/Jimmy Kimmel Live)
Unfortunately for George and his fans, they won’t see the Pacers forward donning the jersey with a new number for the upcoming season as he is expected to miss the entirety of the 2014-2015 season and even months after that.
George suffered the injury late in July 2014 when he was playing in a scrimmage for Team USA which will participate in the 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain scheduled from August 30 to September 15.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money