Coming Soon: PG13 for Paul George After Jersey Number Switch
By James Patrick Quizon | August 12, 2014 3:05 PM EST
PG13 simply sounds more apt. Paul George, who made the headlines recently because of a horrific season-ending injury, is switching to jersey number 13 after using the No. 24 in the early part of his NBA career.
NBA: Miami Heat at Indiana Pacers
Popular sportswriter Bill Simmons, who is the creator of the sports-pop culture Web site Grantland, offered the idea in one of his articles in May 2013.
“By the way, I have some advice that will help Paul George become a household name. He should change his number immediately from no. 24 to no. 13,” Simmons stated then.
“Here’s why … can you think of anyone being helped by a nickname more than Paul George suddenly becoming “PG-13?” Uh-oh, PG-13 is heating up! Warning, this game contains strong language, violence and a possible heat check! We might have to make this performance rated “R” — it’s too hot to handle! Let’s make this happen already.”
According to an ESPN report on Tuesday, George took Simmons’ cue and applied for the jersey number switch, which will be approved by the league for the 2014-2015 NBA season.
George has also been giving clues on his Twitter account of the eventual change and also mentioned it when he was a guest in the Jimmy Kimmel Show last January 2014.
— Paul George (@Paul_George24) August 5, 2014
(YouTube/Jimmy Kimmel Live)
Unfortunately for George and his fans, they won’t see the Pacers forward donning the jersey with a new number for the upcoming season as he is expected to miss the entirety of the 2014-2015 season and even months after that.
George suffered the injury late in July 2014 when he was playing in a scrimmage for Team USA which will participate in the 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain scheduled from August 30 to September 15.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan