Coming Soon: PG13 for Paul George After Jersey Number Switch
By James Patrick Quizon | August 12, 2014 3:05 PM EST
PG13 simply sounds more apt. Paul George, who made the headlines recently because of a horrific season-ending injury, is switching to jersey number 13 after using the No. 24 in the early part of his NBA career.
NBA: Miami Heat at Indiana Pacers
Popular sportswriter Bill Simmons, who is the creator of the sports-pop culture Web site Grantland, offered the idea in one of his articles in May 2013.
“By the way, I have some advice that will help Paul George become a household name. He should change his number immediately from no. 24 to no. 13,” Simmons stated then.
“Here’s why … can you think of anyone being helped by a nickname more than Paul George suddenly becoming “PG-13?” Uh-oh, PG-13 is heating up! Warning, this game contains strong language, violence and a possible heat check! We might have to make this performance rated “R” — it’s too hot to handle! Let’s make this happen already.”
According to an ESPN report on Tuesday, George took Simmons’ cue and applied for the jersey number switch, which will be approved by the league for the 2014-2015 NBA season.
George has also been giving clues on his Twitter account of the eventual change and also mentioned it when he was a guest in the Jimmy Kimmel Show last January 2014.
— Paul George (@Paul_George24) August 5, 2014
(YouTube/Jimmy Kimmel Live)
Unfortunately for George and his fans, they won’t see the Pacers forward donning the jersey with a new number for the upcoming season as he is expected to miss the entirety of the 2014-2015 season and even months after that.
George suffered the injury late in July 2014 when he was playing in a scrimmage for Team USA which will participate in the 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain scheduled from August 30 to September 15.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related