Coming Soon: PG13 for Paul George After Jersey Number Switch
By James Patrick Quizon | August 12, 2014 3:05 PM EST
PG13 simply sounds more apt. Paul George, who made the headlines recently because of a horrific season-ending injury, is switching to jersey number 13 after using the No. 24 in the early part of his NBA career.
NBA: Miami Heat at Indiana Pacers
Popular sportswriter Bill Simmons, who is the creator of the sports-pop culture Web site Grantland, offered the idea in one of his articles in May 2013.
“By the way, I have some advice that will help Paul George become a household name. He should change his number immediately from no. 24 to no. 13,” Simmons stated then.
“Here’s why … can you think of anyone being helped by a nickname more than Paul George suddenly becoming “PG-13?” Uh-oh, PG-13 is heating up! Warning, this game contains strong language, violence and a possible heat check! We might have to make this performance rated “R” — it’s too hot to handle! Let’s make this happen already.”
According to an ESPN report on Tuesday, George took Simmons’ cue and applied for the jersey number switch, which will be approved by the league for the 2014-2015 NBA season.
George has also been giving clues on his Twitter account of the eventual change and also mentioned it when he was a guest in the Jimmy Kimmel Show last January 2014.
— Paul George (@Paul_George24) August 5, 2014
(YouTube/Jimmy Kimmel Live)
Unfortunately for George and his fans, they won’t see the Pacers forward donning the jersey with a new number for the upcoming season as he is expected to miss the entirety of the 2014-2015 season and even months after that.
George suffered the injury late in July 2014 when he was playing in a scrimmage for Team USA which will participate in the 2014 FIBA World Cup in Spain scheduled from August 30 to September 15.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report