Australian Stock Market Report – Midday August 12, 2014
By CommSec Market Analyst | August 12, 2014 2:28 PM EST
The ASX 200 started the second session of the week on the front foot with the index happily building on the previous day's gains. The market was trading close to session highs at lunchtime with a gain of points 55 points after US stocks held their recently improved tone into the start of the week overnight.
A man is reflected on an electronic board showing market indices of the (top-bottom) NASDAQ, Hong Kong Hang Seng Index, SSE Composite Index, and Korea Composite Stock Price Index outside a brokerage in Tokyo June 25, 2014. Asian shares were on the back foot early on Wednesday, taking their cue from Wall Street as the deepening crisis in Iraq and a report that the U.S. could be loosening restrictions on crude exports triggered a rally in oil prices. REUTERS/Yuya Shino (JAPAN - Tags: BUSINESS)
One of the early improvers was Domino's Pizza (DMP) after the group reported a 50.4 per cent lift in underlying net profit to $45.8 million. The acquisition of the Japanese franchise saw revenue nearly double to $588.7 million. Same store sales rose 5.8 per cent helped by the introduction of new products .The company announced a fully-franked final dividend of 19 cents per share taking the full year distribution to 36.7 cents, up from 30.9 cents in 2013. DMP shares were up 6.7 per cent a short time ago.
Consumers Staples were the main laggard in a rising market. The group was held back by Woolworths (WOW) after the retailer said that its home improvement business faced more headwinds with a warning of more losses. WOW said that losses in the Masters hardware chain, amongst others, will exceed those seen the previous year and as a consequence will miss its target of breaking even in 2016. The home-improvement division overall is expected to post an operating loss of $169.0 million in the year to June compared to an earlier forecast which saw losses from hardware being no worse than the $138.9 million reported last year. Woolworths remains committed to the expansion of the business by opening new stores with particular attention to metropolitan areas. WOW shares were down by 1 per cent.
Economic news provided encouraging figures; business confidence rose to 11 points in July from eight points in June, according to NAB's monthly business survey. Elsewhere, figures revealed that the housing market continues to respond to low interest rate settings. Housing prices rose more than expected in the 3 months to the end of July with the average price of houses across Australia's capital cities rising 1.8% in the 2nd quarter compared to the first 3 months of the year. Economists had expected prices to rise by 1% in the period. House prices rose 10.1% from the same quarter a year earlier, according to the ABS. Sydney house prices rose 3.1% from the preceding quarter and 15.6% on year. Perth was the only centre to record a fall, with prices easing 0.2% on quarter and a rise of 3.6$ on year.
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown