Android 4.4.4 KitKat: Sony Xperia Z1, Z1s, Z Ultra, Z1 Compact Steps to Download and Install
By Ryan Inoyori | August 12, 2014 1:56 PM EST
Users who have not downloaded and installed the new Android 4.4.4 KitKat firmware update for Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1s, Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Z1 Compact can now do it in two ways - wirelessly or via USB connection.
Using the Update Centre App
Sony Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1s, Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Z1 Compact have the Update Centre app located in the Application menu which is used to download and install new apps and software builds from Sony Mobile.
1. Enable Wi-Fi connection or mobile data. It is recommended to use Wi-Fi due to better speed and stable connectivity than mobile data.
2. Go to the Application Menu.
3. Launch the Update Centre app.
4. Tap on the Refresh icon found at the top-right corner of the application.
5. Once a notification prompts, follow the instructions provided on the screen.
6. Downloading may take some time depending on the Internet speed and size of the firmware file.
After the download, another message will notify the user regarding the installation procedure. It will request that the battery life should be at least 50 per cent before any installation may occur. If the internal storage space is limited, the user is required to free some space.
Using Sony PC Companion or Sony Bridge
Users may also utilise a Windows computer or MAC to download and install the update via USB connection.
2. Launch the Sony PC suite installed on the machine.
3. Connect the Sony Xperia device using a USB cable and let the drivers to be installed.
4. A notification will prompt on the PC suite regarding a new firmware update.
5. Confirm the firmware download on the PC suite. Download time depends on the speed of the Internet, processing power of the computer and firmware file size.
6. After the download, proceed to installation by following the instructions provided on the screen.
Official Change Logs on Sony Xperia Z1
- Android 4.4.4 latest enhancements and security updates from Google
- Updated and improved camera experience
- Improvements to Google Voice, Contacts, Google+ and music streaming
- Latest versions of all Sony apps
- Latest bug fixes, optimisations and improvements
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ‘Minecraft PS Vita,’ PS4 And Xbox One Updates And More On The Microsoft Deal
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Confirmed With Demo, More Info Revealed
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition': Three Classes Confirmed—Warrior, Mage And Rogue Abilities Exposed
- 'The Sims 4' Mods: Buff Emotion Changes, Pay Very Low Bills And Enable Advanced Debug For Cheats
- iPhone 6 Plus Sold Out Apple Store Crash Due to Pre-orders: Where to Place Your Orders and the Packages Offered in the US and UK
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up