Android 4.4.4 KitKat: Sony Xperia Z1, Z1s, Z Ultra, Z1 Compact Steps to Download and Install
By Ryan Inoyori | August 12, 2014 1:56 PM EST
Users who have not downloaded and installed the new Android 4.4.4 KitKat firmware update for Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1s, Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Z1 Compact can now do it in two ways - wirelessly or via USB connection.
Using the Update Centre App
Sony Xperia Z1, Xperia Z1s, Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Z1 Compact have the Update Centre app located in the Application menu which is used to download and install new apps and software builds from Sony Mobile.
1. Enable Wi-Fi connection or mobile data. It is recommended to use Wi-Fi due to better speed and stable connectivity than mobile data.
2. Go to the Application Menu.
3. Launch the Update Centre app.
4. Tap on the Refresh icon found at the top-right corner of the application.
5. Once a notification prompts, follow the instructions provided on the screen.
6. Downloading may take some time depending on the Internet speed and size of the firmware file.
After the download, another message will notify the user regarding the installation procedure. It will request that the battery life should be at least 50 per cent before any installation may occur. If the internal storage space is limited, the user is required to free some space.
Using Sony PC Companion or Sony Bridge
Users may also utilise a Windows computer or MAC to download and install the update via USB connection.
2. Launch the Sony PC suite installed on the machine.
3. Connect the Sony Xperia device using a USB cable and let the drivers to be installed.
4. A notification will prompt on the PC suite regarding a new firmware update.
5. Confirm the firmware download on the PC suite. Download time depends on the speed of the Internet, processing power of the computer and firmware file size.
6. After the download, proceed to installation by following the instructions provided on the screen.
Official Change Logs on Sony Xperia Z1
- Android 4.4.4 latest enhancements and security updates from Google
- Updated and improved camera experience
- Improvements to Google Voice, Contacts, Google+ and music streaming
- Latest versions of all Sony apps
- Latest bug fixes, optimisations and improvements
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Sims 4' First Expansion Pack To Roll Out Tomorrow With Halloween Theme Via Teaser Images
- The Pirate Bay Contains Malicious Advertisements: Using TPB Can Infect Your Computer With Malware
- Windows Insider Program: How to Get Windows 10 the Next Generation Operating System
- ‘Destiny’ New DLC For PlayStation And Xbox: Future Missions, Strikes And Raids Revealed
- Xbox One News: Windows 10 Hinted For Xbox One; Deals With Gold And Xbox One Counterfeits Detailed
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots