Veteran Game of Thrones Actor J.J. Murphy Dies at 86, Producers Not Recasting Murphy's Role of Night's Watch Member Ser Denys Mallister
By Jenalyn Villamarin | August 12, 2014 1:35 PM EST
Actor J.J. Murphy has been cast as the oldest member of the Night's Watch, Ser Denys Mallister, in "Game of Thrones" Season 5. Unfortunately, the 86-year-old Northern Ireland veteran actor collapsed and then died after completing his work on some scenes in the new season's first four days of filming.
According to a Belfast Telegraph report, J.J. Murphy was still scheduled to film more scenes for the upcoming new season of the HBO series. Murphy even shared to friends that he is excited to be a part of "Game of Thrones" Season 5 where his character is set to debut.
A Sydney Morning Herald report revealed that show producers D.B. Weiss and David Benioff have declared not recasting Murphy's "Game of Thrones" Night's Watch role. "We will not be recasting J.J. Murphy. He was a lovely man, and the best Denys Mallister we could have hoped for. And now his watch is ended," Weiss and Benioff declared in a released statement.
Writer Damian Gorman, who had the opportunity to work with J.J. Murphy, described the veteran actor as a "lovely man and a lovely actor." Murphy's other work credits include "Mickybo and Me," "Cal," "Angela's Ashes" and the upcoming "Dracula Untold" film.
J.J. Murphy was also known as a theatre actor, who trained at the Ulster Group Theatre School in 1948 and worked for several years at the Lyric Theatre in Belfast. Director Paula McFetridge of the award-winning Kabosh Theatre Company in Belfast expressed on social media site Twitter that the veteran's actor death was a sad loss.
The director described J.J. Murphy as a great actor and a gentleman. Philip Young, the actor's agent, revealed that he was heartbroken after finding out that J.J. Murphy passed away.
"I have never encountered a man with more spirit, passion and love for his craft. At this time our thoughts are with his family," Young stated. The actor's agent further shared that the HBO executives and "Dracula Untold" director Gary Shore sent him messages of sympathy over J.J. Murphy's death. The veteran actor's funeral will be held on Wednesday, Aug. 13, in Belfast, Northern Ireland.
More Articles to Read:
Kit Harington: Game of Thrones Actor Says Goodbye to His Jon Snow Look for Character in Testament of Youth Film [WATCH VIDEO] - [READ]
Julia Roberts Gets Hit in the Face, Plays Face Balls with Jimmy Fallon during Guest Appearance at The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon [VIDEO] - [READ]
Matt Davis: Vampire Diaries Actor Almost Quit Portraying Alaric Saltzman in the CW TV Series - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- Kristen Stewart ‘Not In Love’ With ‘Equals’ Co-star Nicholas Hoult -- Reports
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar