Veteran Game of Thrones Actor J.J. Murphy Dies at 86, Producers Not Recasting Murphy's Role of Night's Watch Member Ser Denys Mallister
By Jenalyn Villamarin | August 12, 2014 1:35 PM EST
Actor J.J. Murphy has been cast as the oldest member of the Night's Watch, Ser Denys Mallister, in "Game of Thrones" Season 5. Unfortunately, the 86-year-old Northern Ireland veteran actor collapsed and then died after completing his work on some scenes in the new season's first four days of filming.
According to a Belfast Telegraph report, J.J. Murphy was still scheduled to film more scenes for the upcoming new season of the HBO series. Murphy even shared to friends that he is excited to be a part of "Game of Thrones" Season 5 where his character is set to debut.
A Sydney Morning Herald report revealed that show producers D.B. Weiss and David Benioff have declared not recasting Murphy's "Game of Thrones" Night's Watch role. "We will not be recasting J.J. Murphy. He was a lovely man, and the best Denys Mallister we could have hoped for. And now his watch is ended," Weiss and Benioff declared in a released statement.
Writer Damian Gorman, who had the opportunity to work with J.J. Murphy, described the veteran actor as a "lovely man and a lovely actor." Murphy's other work credits include "Mickybo and Me," "Cal," "Angela's Ashes" and the upcoming "Dracula Untold" film.
J.J. Murphy was also known as a theatre actor, who trained at the Ulster Group Theatre School in 1948 and worked for several years at the Lyric Theatre in Belfast. Director Paula McFetridge of the award-winning Kabosh Theatre Company in Belfast expressed on social media site Twitter that the veteran's actor death was a sad loss.
The director described J.J. Murphy as a great actor and a gentleman. Philip Young, the actor's agent, revealed that he was heartbroken after finding out that J.J. Murphy passed away.
"I have never encountered a man with more spirit, passion and love for his craft. At this time our thoughts are with his family," Young stated. The actor's agent further shared that the HBO executives and "Dracula Untold" director Gary Shore sent him messages of sympathy over J.J. Murphy's death. The veteran actor's funeral will be held on Wednesday, Aug. 13, in Belfast, Northern Ireland.
More Articles to Read:
Kit Harington: Game of Thrones Actor Says Goodbye to His Jon Snow Look for Character in Testament of Youth Film [WATCH VIDEO] - [READ]
Julia Roberts Gets Hit in the Face, Plays Face Balls with Jimmy Fallon during Guest Appearance at The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon [VIDEO] - [READ]
Matt Davis: Vampire Diaries Actor Almost Quit Portraying Alaric Saltzman in the CW TV Series - [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron' Teaser Trailer: Fans' Cry At ‘Epic’ Footage, Vision Not Featured
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’