Australian Nick Kyrgios to Miss Cincinnati Open, Will Play in 2014 US Open
By James Patrick Quizon | August 12, 2014 1:27 PM EST
After his Wimbledon upset of world no. 2 Rafael Nadal, Nick Krygios was primed to be one of the rising stars in tennis. That climb is temporarily stopped as the 19-year-old suffered an arm injury that caused him to miss the 2014 Cincinnati Open.
Nick Kyrgios of Australia reacts during his men's singles tennis match against Rafael Nadal of Spain at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 1, 2014.
Kyrgios himself tweeted the development on Tuesday:
Gutted to pull out of @CincyTennis but I've been suffering with bone stress in my left arm. MRI results were positive. Will be okay for USO.
— Nicholas Kyrgios (@NickKyrgios) August 10, 2014
Aside from declaring that he’d be ready for the next and final Grand Slam of the year, Kyrgios also mentioned that the injury did not stop him from practicing.
Back on the practise court today, not hitting any backhands, but still some high intensity training with @TKokkinakis — Nicholas Kyrgios (@NickKyrgios) August 10, 2014
Kyrgios famous upset of Nadal came in the Round of 16 of the Wimbledon Championship as the Aussie won the five-setter against the Spaniard, 7-6 (5), 5-7, 7-6 (5), 6-3. He fell to Canadian Milos Raonic in the quarterfinals, 7-6(4), 2-6, 4-6, 6-7 (4).
In the recent 2014 Rogers Cup, in Toronto, Canada, he beat Santiago Giraldo of Colombia in the Round of 64, 7-6 (3), 7-5 but got booted out by Andy Murray (Great Britain) in the next round, 6-2, 6-2. The win against Giraldo was important though as it was the Australian’s first ATP World Tour Masters 1000 victory in his career.
After the Aussie's breakthrough victory at the All-England Club, Kyrgios climbed to No. 66 in the ATP men’s singles world rankings. As of August 11, 2014, he is now ranked 58th in the world easily his career-high in the ATP leaderboard.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Fight Won't Happen As Long As Bob Arum Is Involved, Says Pacquiao's Former Conditioning Coach
- WWE News: CM Punk Merchandise Pulled From Stands, Punk Chasing Royalties For WWE 2K15 Inclusion [VIDEO]
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed