Australian Nick Kyrgios to Miss Cincinnati Open, Will Play in 2014 US Open
By James Patrick Quizon | August 12, 2014 1:27 PM EST
After his Wimbledon upset of world no. 2 Rafael Nadal, Nick Krygios was primed to be one of the rising stars in tennis. That climb is temporarily stopped as the 19-year-old suffered an arm injury that caused him to miss the 2014 Cincinnati Open.
Nick Kyrgios of Australia reacts during his men's singles tennis match against Rafael Nadal of Spain at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 1, 2014.
Kyrgios himself tweeted the development on Tuesday:
Gutted to pull out of @CincyTennis but I've been suffering with bone stress in my left arm. MRI results were positive. Will be okay for USO.
— Nicholas Kyrgios (@NickKyrgios) August 10, 2014
Aside from declaring that he’d be ready for the next and final Grand Slam of the year, Kyrgios also mentioned that the injury did not stop him from practicing.
Back on the practise court today, not hitting any backhands, but still some high intensity training with @TKokkinakis — Nicholas Kyrgios (@NickKyrgios) August 10, 2014
Kyrgios famous upset of Nadal came in the Round of 16 of the Wimbledon Championship as the Aussie won the five-setter against the Spaniard, 7-6 (5), 5-7, 7-6 (5), 6-3. He fell to Canadian Milos Raonic in the quarterfinals, 7-6(4), 2-6, 4-6, 6-7 (4).
In the recent 2014 Rogers Cup, in Toronto, Canada, he beat Santiago Giraldo of Colombia in the Round of 64, 7-6 (3), 7-5 but got booted out by Andy Murray (Great Britain) in the next round, 6-2, 6-2. The win against Giraldo was important though as it was the Australian’s first ATP World Tour Masters 1000 victory in his career.
After the Aussie's breakthrough victory at the All-England Club, Kyrgios climbed to No. 66 in the ATP men’s singles world rankings. As of August 11, 2014, he is now ranked 58th in the world easily his career-high in the ATP leaderboard.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Liverpool FC: Brendan Rodgers Accedes That His Days As Reds Boss Could Be Numbered
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James