Australian Nick Kyrgios to Miss Cincinnati Open, Will Play in 2014 US Open
By James Patrick Quizon | August 12, 2014 1:27 PM EST
After his Wimbledon upset of world no. 2 Rafael Nadal, Nick Krygios was primed to be one of the rising stars in tennis. That climb is temporarily stopped as the 19-year-old suffered an arm injury that caused him to miss the 2014 Cincinnati Open.
Nick Kyrgios of Australia reacts during his men's singles tennis match against Rafael Nadal of Spain at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 1, 2014.
Kyrgios himself tweeted the development on Tuesday:
Gutted to pull out of @CincyTennis but I've been suffering with bone stress in my left arm. MRI results were positive. Will be okay for USO.
— Nicholas Kyrgios (@NickKyrgios) August 10, 2014
Aside from declaring that he’d be ready for the next and final Grand Slam of the year, Kyrgios also mentioned that the injury did not stop him from practicing.
Back on the practise court today, not hitting any backhands, but still some high intensity training with @TKokkinakis — Nicholas Kyrgios (@NickKyrgios) August 10, 2014
Kyrgios famous upset of Nadal came in the Round of 16 of the Wimbledon Championship as the Aussie won the five-setter against the Spaniard, 7-6 (5), 5-7, 7-6 (5), 6-3. He fell to Canadian Milos Raonic in the quarterfinals, 7-6(4), 2-6, 4-6, 6-7 (4).
In the recent 2014 Rogers Cup, in Toronto, Canada, he beat Santiago Giraldo of Colombia in the Round of 64, 7-6 (3), 7-5 but got booted out by Andy Murray (Great Britain) in the next round, 6-2, 6-2. The win against Giraldo was important though as it was the Australian’s first ATP World Tour Masters 1000 victory in his career.
After the Aussie's breakthrough victory at the All-England Club, Kyrgios climbed to No. 66 in the ATP men’s singles world rankings. As of August 11, 2014, he is now ranked 58th in the world easily his career-high in the ATP leaderboard.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’