Australian Nick Kyrgios to Miss Cincinnati Open, Will Play in 2014 US Open
By James Patrick Quizon | August 12, 2014 1:27 PM EST
After his Wimbledon upset of world no. 2 Rafael Nadal, Nick Krygios was primed to be one of the rising stars in tennis. That climb is temporarily stopped as the 19-year-old suffered an arm injury that caused him to miss the 2014 Cincinnati Open.
Nick Kyrgios of Australia reacts during his men's singles tennis match against Rafael Nadal of Spain at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 1, 2014.
Kyrgios himself tweeted the development on Tuesday:
Gutted to pull out of @CincyTennis but I've been suffering with bone stress in my left arm. MRI results were positive. Will be okay for USO.
— Nicholas Kyrgios (@NickKyrgios) August 10, 2014
Aside from declaring that he’d be ready for the next and final Grand Slam of the year, Kyrgios also mentioned that the injury did not stop him from practicing.
Back on the practise court today, not hitting any backhands, but still some high intensity training with @TKokkinakis — Nicholas Kyrgios (@NickKyrgios) August 10, 2014
Kyrgios famous upset of Nadal came in the Round of 16 of the Wimbledon Championship as the Aussie won the five-setter against the Spaniard, 7-6 (5), 5-7, 7-6 (5), 6-3. He fell to Canadian Milos Raonic in the quarterfinals, 7-6(4), 2-6, 4-6, 6-7 (4).
In the recent 2014 Rogers Cup, in Toronto, Canada, he beat Santiago Giraldo of Colombia in the Round of 64, 7-6 (3), 7-5 but got booted out by Andy Murray (Great Britain) in the next round, 6-2, 6-2. The win against Giraldo was important though as it was the Australian’s first ATP World Tour Masters 1000 victory in his career.
After the Aussie's breakthrough victory at the All-England Club, Kyrgios climbed to No. 66 in the ATP men’s singles world rankings. As of August 11, 2014, he is now ranked 58th in the world easily his career-high in the ATP leaderboard.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced