Australian Nick Kyrgios to Miss Cincinnati Open, Will Play in 2014 US Open
By James Patrick Quizon | August 12, 2014 1:27 PM EST
After his Wimbledon upset of world no. 2 Rafael Nadal, Nick Krygios was primed to be one of the rising stars in tennis. That climb is temporarily stopped as the 19-year-old suffered an arm injury that caused him to miss the 2014 Cincinnati Open.
Nick Kyrgios of Australia reacts during his men's singles tennis match against Rafael Nadal of Spain at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, in London July 1, 2014.
Kyrgios himself tweeted the development on Tuesday:
Gutted to pull out of @CincyTennis but I've been suffering with bone stress in my left arm. MRI results were positive. Will be okay for USO.
— Nicholas Kyrgios (@NickKyrgios) August 10, 2014
Aside from declaring that he’d be ready for the next and final Grand Slam of the year, Kyrgios also mentioned that the injury did not stop him from practicing.
Back on the practise court today, not hitting any backhands, but still some high intensity training with @TKokkinakis — Nicholas Kyrgios (@NickKyrgios) August 10, 2014
Kyrgios famous upset of Nadal came in the Round of 16 of the Wimbledon Championship as the Aussie won the five-setter against the Spaniard, 7-6 (5), 5-7, 7-6 (5), 6-3. He fell to Canadian Milos Raonic in the quarterfinals, 7-6(4), 2-6, 4-6, 6-7 (4).
In the recent 2014 Rogers Cup, in Toronto, Canada, he beat Santiago Giraldo of Colombia in the Round of 64, 7-6 (3), 7-5 but got booted out by Andy Murray (Great Britain) in the next round, 6-2, 6-2. The win against Giraldo was important though as it was the Australian’s first ATP World Tour Masters 1000 victory in his career.
After the Aussie's breakthrough victory at the All-England Club, Kyrgios climbed to No. 66 in the ATP men’s singles world rankings. As of August 11, 2014, he is now ranked 58th in the world easily his career-high in the ATP leaderboard.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Fernando Alonso Leaves Ferrari 'For Two Reasons'
- Roger Federer Says He Has Never Seen Rafael Nadal Play So Bad, Wishes That The Spaniard Recuperate Well From Appendicitis
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight