Robin Williams Was ‘Very Selfish,’ Actor Todd Bridges Says
By Anne Lu | August 12, 2014 1:11 PM EST
Celebrities who took their own lives like Robin Williams were “very selfish,” Todd Bridges said. The “Diff’rent Strokes” actor is under fire after insinuating that the recently deceased actor only thought about himself.
Actor Robin Williams arrives for the European premiere of "Happy Feet " at the Empire cinema in London in this file picture taken November 26, 2006. REUTERS/Luke Macgregor/Files
While the entertainment industry is heartbroken over Williams’ apparent suicide, Bridges got into the more practical heart of the matter.
I'm sorry but I have to say this life is rough sometimes ride celebrities life is rough for everybody committing suicide is not the way
— Todd Bridges (@ToddBridges) August 11, 2014
It is a very selfish act you're not thinking about your family your friends or your fans — Todd Bridges (@ToddBridges) August 11, 2014
much better way get help or if you know someone like that get them help even if it means getting them locked up in a psychiatric hospital
— Todd Bridges (@ToddBridges) August 11, 2014
Rest in peace Robin Williams I hope you found what you were looking for — Todd Bridges (@ToddBridges) August 11, 2014
His Twitter posts, which were written just minutes after Williams’ death was reported in the media, garnered negative reactions from Twitter users, who called him “selfish” as well for allegedly being insensitive at this distressing time.
@ToddBridges That's a very rude thing to say!! Of course they aren't thinking. They are very ill people. They need help not anger.
— Carole Donald (@caroled2) August 11, 2014
hey @ToddBridges you clearly don't understand mental illness or suicide - oh & who were you thinking of when you decided to Tweet this crap? — FAN12 (@legendof12thman) August 12, 2014
@ToddBridges please stop. Mental health defintely needs to be discussed, but not by shaming suicidal ppl for wanting to leave this world.
— Heathen P (@_ToParisAndBack) August 12, 2014
considering your lack of care for yourself, your body, or your OWN family, you're the last to speak up on this. Selfish? tuh. @ToddBridges — J I Λ (@missjia) August 12, 2014
@ToddBridges you should be ashamed of yourself. the man died not too long ago and you're sullying his name already. just fucking shameful.
— richelle (@meisriri) August 12, 2014
Bridges, 49, was unrepentant, though, saying that he just wanted to get attention to help people with depression.
Wow it's so funny about what I'm saying cuz doctor drew is that in the same exact thing that I've been saying — Todd Bridges (@ToddBridges) August 12, 2014
thinking I'm trying to be in butt so but I'm not what I'm trying to say is that people or suffering from depression suffering from addiction
— Todd Bridges (@ToddBridges) August 12, 2014
Some of his followers were more understanding, saying Bridges only spoke the truth.
@ToddBridges you are catching flak you don't deserve. You are 100% correct. Suicide is never the way. Someone can always help — Crane (@TheAmeriCrane) August 12, 2014
@ToddBridges Your right. I am not a Celebrity, nor ever was one. But suicide is not the way to go.
— Ahna (@Ahna1969) August 11, 2014
@ToddBridges #truestory #betterway #familyandfriendsmatter — Connie (@candleria) August 12, 2014
Bridges battled crack addiction for years. During his trial for his attempted murder charge in 1988, he admitted that he had been abusing cocaine. He was also arrested for possession of drugs in 1993.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mark Ruffalo Turns Into Hulk For His Daughter And Another Preschooler
- 'Revenge' Season 4 Spoilers: Daniel, Emily In Twisted Friendship; David Clarke Mystery Growing (Review, Updates)
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- 'The Mentalist' Season 7, Episode 1 Spoilers: The Ending Begins For Patrick Jane And Teresa Lisbon (Synopsis)
- 'CSI Crime Scene Investigation' Season 15 Recap: Episode 7 ‘Road to Recovery' Aired On Nov. 23, 2014, A Girl In A Rehabilitation Facility Ends Up Dead In A Pool And The ‘CSI Las Vegas’ Team Investigated Her Death [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James