A More Laid-Back Roger Federer Claims He is Not Playing for Grand Slams
By Dana Alyssa Ramos | August 12, 2014 11:22 AM EST
Roger Federer recently officially opened his summer hard court campaign at the Rogers Cup 2014 in Toronto, where the world no. 3 shared an insightful interview about where his game is. According to the 17-time Grand Slam champion, his focus as he approaches 33 years of age later this week is not just on the Grand Slams.
Roger Federer of Switzerland celebrates winning the fourth set against Novak Djokovic of Serbia during their men's singles finals tennis match on Centre Court at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London July 6, 2014.
According to the Swiss tennis superstar, contrary to the general belief, Grand Slam is not the most important thing. Just because Pete Sampras once upon a time said that it is all about Grand Slam for him, everybody figures that for all the top tennis guys, it's only about the Slam.
When asked about the prospect of winning another Slam, Federer answered affirmative.
"Regardless of which one it is, which surfaces it is, I believe I can go very deep and all these tournaments frequently. It's just about staying healthy for me and mentally fresh and motivated and that I am."
The no. 2 seed advanced in the U.S. Open warm up with Richard Gasquet, Enrnest Gulbis and Fabio Fognini. The Swiss tennis superstar managed to cruise a victory at 6-2, 6-0 over the Canadian wild card Peter Polansky in the second round of the Rogers Cup despite the red-and-white "Go Canada Go" signs that filled the crowd during their match.
Federer finished the game in just 52 minutes to eliminate the Canadian, who beat 2013 Wimbledon finalist Jerzy Janawicz last Monday. The Swiss had a bye into the second round.
Outside the court, Roger Federer is enjoying a great family life. He has four children after his wife gave birth to twin boys in May.
After he bagged 17 Grand Slam titles, he now considers himself in a "more laid back" point in his career.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage