A More Laid-Back Roger Federer Claims He is Not Playing for Grand Slams
By Dana Alyssa Ramos | August 12, 2014 11:22 AM EST
Roger Federer recently officially opened his summer hard court campaign at the Rogers Cup 2014 in Toronto, where the world no. 3 shared an insightful interview about where his game is. According to the 17-time Grand Slam champion, his focus as he approaches 33 years of age later this week is not just on the Grand Slams.
Roger Federer of Switzerland celebrates winning the fourth set against Novak Djokovic of Serbia during their men's singles finals tennis match on Centre Court at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London July 6, 2014.
According to the Swiss tennis superstar, contrary to the general belief, Grand Slam is not the most important thing. Just because Pete Sampras once upon a time said that it is all about Grand Slam for him, everybody figures that for all the top tennis guys, it's only about the Slam.
When asked about the prospect of winning another Slam, Federer answered affirmative.
"Regardless of which one it is, which surfaces it is, I believe I can go very deep and all these tournaments frequently. It's just about staying healthy for me and mentally fresh and motivated and that I am."
The no. 2 seed advanced in the U.S. Open warm up with Richard Gasquet, Enrnest Gulbis and Fabio Fognini. The Swiss tennis superstar managed to cruise a victory at 6-2, 6-0 over the Canadian wild card Peter Polansky in the second round of the Rogers Cup despite the red-and-white "Go Canada Go" signs that filled the crowd during their match.
Federer finished the game in just 52 minutes to eliminate the Canadian, who beat 2013 Wimbledon finalist Jerzy Janawicz last Monday. The Swiss had a bye into the second round.
Outside the court, Roger Federer is enjoying a great family life. He has four children after his wife gave birth to twin boys in May.
After he bagged 17 Grand Slam titles, he now considers himself in a "more laid back" point in his career.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date