A More Laid-Back Roger Federer Claims He is Not Playing for Grand Slams
By Dana Alyssa Ramos | August 12, 2014 11:22 AM EST
Roger Federer recently officially opened his summer hard court campaign at the Rogers Cup 2014 in Toronto, where the world no. 3 shared an insightful interview about where his game is. According to the 17-time Grand Slam champion, his focus as he approaches 33 years of age later this week is not just on the Grand Slams.
Roger Federer of Switzerland celebrates winning the fourth set against Novak Djokovic of Serbia during their men's singles finals tennis match on Centre Court at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London July 6, 2014.
According to the Swiss tennis superstar, contrary to the general belief, Grand Slam is not the most important thing. Just because Pete Sampras once upon a time said that it is all about Grand Slam for him, everybody figures that for all the top tennis guys, it's only about the Slam.
When asked about the prospect of winning another Slam, Federer answered affirmative.
"Regardless of which one it is, which surfaces it is, I believe I can go very deep and all these tournaments frequently. It's just about staying healthy for me and mentally fresh and motivated and that I am."
The no. 2 seed advanced in the U.S. Open warm up with Richard Gasquet, Enrnest Gulbis and Fabio Fognini. The Swiss tennis superstar managed to cruise a victory at 6-2, 6-0 over the Canadian wild card Peter Polansky in the second round of the Rogers Cup despite the red-and-white "Go Canada Go" signs that filled the crowd during their match.
Federer finished the game in just 52 minutes to eliminate the Canadian, who beat 2013 Wimbledon finalist Jerzy Janawicz last Monday. The Swiss had a bye into the second round.
Outside the court, Roger Federer is enjoying a great family life. He has four children after his wife gave birth to twin boys in May.
After he bagged 17 Grand Slam titles, he now considers himself in a "more laid back" point in his career.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS