NASCAR Champ Tony Stewart Runs Over and Kills Competitor at Sprint Race [VIDEO]
By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | August 12, 2014 10:09 AM EST
Tony Stewart struck and killed fellow driver Kevin Ward Jr. during a sprint car race at Canandaigua, Motorsports Park in Upstate New York last Saturday night.
NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver Tony Stewart speaks with crew members during practice for the Daytona 500 qualifying at Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach, Florida, in this file photo taken February 16, 2013. Stewart canceled plans to compete in a race on August 10, 2014, hours after being in an accident at a dirt track in New York state where a driver was killed, team manager Greg Zipadelli said in a televised news conference.
USA Today reports that Ward was ran over on the track after he got out of his vehicle. The 20-year-old driver went out of his vehicle after being spun out of the track by Stewart himself. The promising racer was walking towards the NASCAR champion when the No. 14 car of Stewart hit him head on and sent the fellow racer down on the tracks. Medical emergency response teams took Ward by ambulance to Thompson Hospital but pronounced him dead on arrival.
Investigators are already looking into the situation and have confirmed that the 43-year-old Stewart was fully cooperative with the process. The NASCAR champ has already withdrawn for the next competition at Watkins Glen while the incident is not being investigated as criminally related.
"There are no criminal charges pending at this time," Ontario County Sheriff Philip Povero declared during a news conference. "We have reviewed the investigation to this point with the Ontario County district attorney. At this very moment, there are no facts in hand that would substantiate or support a criminal charge, or indicate criminal intent on the part of any individual."
During the middle of Turn 2, Stewart's number 13 car squeezed Ward's vehicle to the outside wall and reversed it. Showing displeasure on the tactic of Stewart, Ward exited his car and marched towards Stewart only be clipped head on and be sent down a few yards from the track.
Ward is an up and coming name in NASCAR as he just started driving sprint cars in 2010, the same year he was able to garner five top five finishes. He was named rookie of the year by Empire Super Sprint in 2012 and in this year, he is running fifth in racing for super sprints.
Tony Stewart is a veteran and has involvement in all facets of racing. The three-time NASCAR champion owns racing tracks, has stakes in multi-tiered NASCAR and sprint cars and a also has a partner who will enter Formula 1.
While Stewart has long established an appeal of a blue-collared worker who rose to the ranks, he is not scott-free with brushes with authorities. In 2010, he was involved in a controversy when he proclaimed embarrassment after being questioned by Aussie police for hitting a track promoter with a helmet over an arguement on over track safety. This temper was also in display in 2002 when he shoved a photographer at Indianapolis. He was also placed on probation for striking Brian Vickers in 2011 at Sonoma.
Authorities have still maintained that they have not charged the NASCAR champ with any raps. Povero explained that the investigation is still ongoing and they are currently reviewing all photos and videos of the incident. They are also looking into the banked dirt surface and the dark suit of Ward and the poorly lit portion of the track. "Certainly that is a dimly lit part of the track," Povero said.
To watch the video of the fatal mishap, see below but be warned that it is graphic in nature:
(Video Courtesy of Youtube/ Law Offices of John M. Phillips)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Novak Djokovic Stars In A New Commercial For Gerble Sans Gluten et Sans Souci
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best