Shawn Marion to Cleveland Cavaliers Gaining Serious Traction
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | August 12, 2014 9:32 AM EST
One of the best and cheapest free agents left in the NBA offseason is about to join an Eastern powerhouse squad. Shawn Marion, who played last year with the Dallas Mavericks, is reportedly leaning towards hooking up with LeBron James with the Cleveland Cavaliers.
NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Dallas Mavericks
Adrian Wojnarowski tweeted the development on Thursday:
Free agent forward Shawn Marion is leaning strongly toward signing with Cleveland over Indiana, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) August 7, 2014
Shawn Marion is also being courted by the Mavericks and the Indiana Pacers in the offseason. The latter can offer him a starting spot in lieu of Paul George who suffered a devastating season-ending injury last Friday and perhaps more money than both Dallas and Cleveland.
However, the lure of playing with James, considered the best player in the planet today is hard to pass up. Along with top point guard Kyrie Irving and possibly, Kevin Love if the trade with the Minnesota Timberwolves pushes through, Cleveland is the top destination for free agents who want to chase an NBA title or at least play with the Eastern Conference favourites.
The 36-year-old Marion has yet to decide according to Wojnarowski, but the writer’s sources confirmed that the small forward will make his decision soon and the Cavaliers are the front-runners for his services.
Marion is entering his 16th NBA season playing for the Phoenix Suns (1999-2008), Miami Heat (2007-2009), Toronto Raptors (2008-2009) and the Mavericks (2009-2014).
Despite the NBA mileage, Marion is seen as a valuable commodity in the league as he is versatile enough to play multiple positions especially on the defensive end. At Cleveland, he’ll most likely serve as the back-up to James at the forward spots with limited minutes.
Marion averaged 10.4 points, 6.5 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 1.6 steals and 1.1 blocked shots in 76 games for the Mavericks in the 2013-2014 NBA season—a dip from his career numbers but still a reflection of how he can be effective even at his age.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft