Shawn Marion to Cleveland Cavaliers Gaining Serious Traction
By Justin Noel Cudaihl | August 12, 2014 9:32 AM EST
One of the best and cheapest free agents left in the NBA offseason is about to join an Eastern powerhouse squad. Shawn Marion, who played last year with the Dallas Mavericks, is reportedly leaning towards hooking up with LeBron James with the Cleveland Cavaliers.
NBA: Oklahoma City Thunder at Dallas Mavericks
Adrian Wojnarowski tweeted the development on Thursday:
Free agent forward Shawn Marion is leaning strongly toward signing with Cleveland over Indiana, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) August 7, 2014
Shawn Marion is also being courted by the Mavericks and the Indiana Pacers in the offseason. The latter can offer him a starting spot in lieu of Paul George who suffered a devastating season-ending injury last Friday and perhaps more money than both Dallas and Cleveland.
However, the lure of playing with James, considered the best player in the planet today is hard to pass up. Along with top point guard Kyrie Irving and possibly, Kevin Love if the trade with the Minnesota Timberwolves pushes through, Cleveland is the top destination for free agents who want to chase an NBA title or at least play with the Eastern Conference favourites.
The 36-year-old Marion has yet to decide according to Wojnarowski, but the writer’s sources confirmed that the small forward will make his decision soon and the Cavaliers are the front-runners for his services.
Marion is entering his 16th NBA season playing for the Phoenix Suns (1999-2008), Miami Heat (2007-2009), Toronto Raptors (2008-2009) and the Mavericks (2009-2014).
Despite the NBA mileage, Marion is seen as a valuable commodity in the league as he is versatile enough to play multiple positions especially on the defensive end. At Cleveland, he’ll most likely serve as the back-up to James at the forward spots with limited minutes.
Marion averaged 10.4 points, 6.5 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 1.6 steals and 1.1 blocked shots in 76 games for the Mavericks in the 2013-2014 NBA season—a dip from his career numbers but still a reflection of how he can be effective even at his age.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories