Android 5.0 L vs Apple iOS 8: New Data Show Android Overtaking iOS in Mobile Usage
By Precious Silva | August 12, 2014 8:13 AM EST
Google's Android platform has fought Apple's iOS constantly. Despite the buzz around the iOS 8, recent data suggest that Android usage is higher compared to the iOS. The data was drawn from 160 million monthly visits. With Google and Apple about to release their primary updates this latter part of the year, can Android maintain its position? What does increased Android usage mean for Apple?
Sundar Pinchai, Google's senior vice president of Android, Chrome and Apps, speaks during his keynote address at the Google I/O developers conference in San Francisco, June 25, 2014
According to NetApplications (via 9to5Mac), Android recently won its bid against Apple but not by a huge margin. Android usage went up to 44.62% this July from 43.75%. Apple's iOS usage dropped to 44.19% this July from 45.61% last June. NetApplications measured usage oth in tablets and smartphones for its current data. This supports Tim Cook's previous claim that iPad sales saw a decline recently.
Apple's CEO previously had a knack for taking a jab at Android. Business Insider quoted Tim Cook previously claiming no one has been using Android: "I don't know what these other tablets are doing. They must be in warehouses, or on store shelves, or maybe in somebody's bottom drawer!"
Web traffic offers considerable insight on how operating systems are doing including their market penetration. This also provides a look at how companies have engaged users. It is still hard to say what such can spell for Apple. According to Business Insider, Android has been fighting with iOS for years but Apple's performance remains stable.
Apple's iOS remains a lucrative business for the company. The tech giant has even posted double digit growth. If there will be a risk for Apple, it would be the developers switching to Android. Google's platform offers a more engaged user base and more numbers. Apple has to maintain developer interest so as to avoid being a second-tier platform.
Apple is set to release its iOS 8 this fall with Google prepping up for Android L release later this year as well.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft