Android 5.0 L vs Apple iOS 8: New Data Show Android Overtaking iOS in Mobile Usage
By Precious Silva | August 12, 2014 8:13 AM EST
Google's Android platform has fought Apple's iOS constantly. Despite the buzz around the iOS 8, recent data suggest that Android usage is higher compared to the iOS. The data was drawn from 160 million monthly visits. With Google and Apple about to release their primary updates this latter part of the year, can Android maintain its position? What does increased Android usage mean for Apple?
Sundar Pinchai, Google's senior vice president of Android, Chrome and Apps, speaks during his keynote address at the Google I/O developers conference in San Francisco, June 25, 2014
According to NetApplications (via 9to5Mac), Android recently won its bid against Apple but not by a huge margin. Android usage went up to 44.62% this July from 43.75%. Apple's iOS usage dropped to 44.19% this July from 45.61% last June. NetApplications measured usage oth in tablets and smartphones for its current data. This supports Tim Cook's previous claim that iPad sales saw a decline recently.
Apple's CEO previously had a knack for taking a jab at Android. Business Insider quoted Tim Cook previously claiming no one has been using Android: "I don't know what these other tablets are doing. They must be in warehouses, or on store shelves, or maybe in somebody's bottom drawer!"
Web traffic offers considerable insight on how operating systems are doing including their market penetration. This also provides a look at how companies have engaged users. It is still hard to say what such can spell for Apple. According to Business Insider, Android has been fighting with iOS for years but Apple's performance remains stable.
Apple's iOS remains a lucrative business for the company. The tech giant has even posted double digit growth. If there will be a risk for Apple, it would be the developers switching to Android. Google's platform offers a more engaged user base and more numbers. Apple has to maintain developer interest so as to avoid being a second-tier platform.
Apple is set to release its iOS 8 this fall with Google prepping up for Android L release later this year as well.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics