‘Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles’ Topples ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ in Aug. 8-10, 2014 Weekend Box Office [WATCH VIDEO]
By Janice Somosot | August 11, 2014 9:29 PM EST
The latest version of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles," or TMNT has toppled the "Guardians of the Galaxy" over the weekend of Aug. 8-10, 2014. According to Box Office Mojo, the film featuring the "heroes in a half shell" earned an estimated $65 million in the weekend box office, while "Guardians of the Galaxy" earned $41,531,000.
Box Office Mojo also reported that the $65 million is just the estimated domestic total of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" as of Sunday, Aug.10, 2014. The estimated foreign total of TMNT is $28,700,000. This brings the total worldwide gross of the film to $93,700,000.
"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" was just released last Friday, Aug. 8, 2014. It is produced by Michael Bay, Scott Mednick, Brad Fuller, Andrew Form and Ian Bryce. TMNT stars Megan Fox (April O'Neil), Will Arnett (Vernon Fenwick), William Fichtner (Eric Sacks), Johnny Knoxville (Leonardo - voice), Tony Shalhoub (Splinter - voice), Alan Ritchson (Raphael) and Noel Fisher (Michelangelo). It is directed by Jonathan Liebesman.
Aside from "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" and "Guardians of the Galaxy," the other films that made it to the Top 5 list of box office hits over the weekend of Aug. 8-10, 2014 are "Into The Storm" which earned $18,015,000 (Top 3), "The Hundred-Foot Journey" which earned $11,123,000 (Top 4) and "Lucy" which earned $9,331,000 (Top 5).
Other films that round up the list of the Top 10 films that ruled the box office weekend of Aug. 8-10, 2014 are "Step Up All In" ($6,575,000 - Top 6), "Hercules (2014)" ($5,700,000 - Top 7), "Get On Up" ($5,012,000 - Top 8), "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" ($4,400,000 - Top 9) and "Planes: Fire & Rescue" ($2,419,000 - Top 10).
In a Bloomberg report, Rentrak's senior media analyst Paul Dergarabedian spoke about the edge of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" over other films that are currently showing in theatres.
"'Turtles' is going to benefit big from nostalgic parents and their kids, who have had very few options in theaters this summer," Dergarabedian said in the Bloomberg report.
"'Ninja' is looking like it's going to overperform big time," he added.
It's interesting to note that Dergarabedian said this before the weekend box office results. For more updates about "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" as well as other news about entertainment, technology, sports, health, business, finance and politics, keep reading International Business Times.
Watch the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" Trailer #2 below:
READ MORE ABOUT "TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES":
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Trial’s Second Week: TPB Founder’s Co-Defendant Answers Questions Plus Jacob Appelbaum Appears
- Miley Cyrus Naked Picture In Bathroom: 'Bangerz' Singer Shares The Racy Picture With Fans
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date