'Outlander' TV Series: Episode 1 Sassenach Recap [Spoilers]
By Sachin Trivedi | August 11, 2014 4:31 PM EST
"Outlander" tells the story of a nurse, Claire Randall, serving the soldiers during World War 2. The premiere of the series begins with the last days of the war. Claire and her husband decide to go on a second honeymoon to Scotland. [Spoiler Alert]
The married couple has been apart for five years and they expect the trip to help them reconnect and learn about the people they have become after the war. Her husband loves history and explains the history of the city they are staying in and its surroundings to Claire. The history also gives the viewers some background information about the things to come.
Claire's husband, Frank Randall, is interested in his genealogy. His search has brought him to the ruin of a castle. He comes to find out that one of his ancestors is Jonathan Randall, who was a notorious captain in the British army in the 1740s.
The first hint of her time travel in "Outlander" episode 1 comes when a lady, Mrs. Graham, offers to tell Claire her future based on the tea leaves in her cup. Her husband also sees something strange. When he tries to confront a man staring at his wife through a window, the man seems to disappear.
The couple later sees a group of modern-day druids performing a ritual just before dawn. Claire returns to the place where the ritual is performed to collect a few flowers to study. She gets transported back in time after she touches one of the stone.
Transported back in time to the 1700s, Claire is the middle of a gun fight. The British soldiers chase her and she almost gets raped by Jonathan Randall, captain in the British army. She is saved by a Scottish warrior.
Claire's experience as an army nurse comes in handy while the Scottish warriors decide what to do with her. She helps a young man with a dislocated shoulder bone and later saves the group by pointing out an ambush site.
Her actions may have earned her the trust of some of the Scottish warriors. The group travel day and night to reach a castle. The same castle she and her husband had visited, before she travelled back in time. She has just begun to come to terms with the fact that she has, in fact, travelled back in time and she is now an "Outlander."
More Articles to Read
Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice - Leaked Video from the Set [Read]
Fast and Furious 7 Release Date - Dwayne Johnson in Action Pictured on the Set [Read]
Hobbit 3: Difference Between Father and Son a Major Focus in the Movie [Watch Trailer] [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- This Is Why Japanese Princess Masako Attended First Palace Banquet After 11 Years
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery