PS4 Latest Firmware Update With New UI Confirmed Fake Plus A New Zombie Game Announced
By Gel Galang | August 11, 2014 2:34 PM EST
After the almost week-apart releases of the PS4 firmware updates 1.74 and 1.75, which featured minor bug fixes and the awaited Blue-ray 3D support, gamers went abuzz after supposed leaked images of the next PS4 were revealed.
A man plays a video game on Sony Corp's PlayStation 4 console at its showroom in Tokyo July 16, 2014. Japan's Sony Corp is hammering out plans to rise from the ashes of nearly $10 billion lost in six years by building a future around its last consumer electronics blockbuster - the PlayStation. Sony plans to reposition the video console warhorse as a hub for a network of streamed services, according to three senior officials, offering social media, movies and music as well as games. The executives spoke to Reuters on condition they not be named because the matters are still in early stages of discussion. Picture taken July 16, 2014.
The images were pointing to a new design of the user interface for the PS4, including improved notifications, updates and a way to arrange games. Sadly, Behind Games reports that the images have already been confirmed by Sony as fakes. This was confirmed by a Sony employee who goes by the name of "IWorkforSony" over at Reddit.
Still, the images at the link above are fine to look at, with some fans hoping that Sony really does push through with a similar update.
More Zombies For PS4 With '#killallzombies'
Though "H1Z1," Sony Online Entertainment's much-awaited survival MMO game, has not yet been announced for the PS4, there's a new zombie shooter title that will be debuting for Sony's next-gen console. And this time, it will be a PS4-first title.
Developer Beatshapers has taken it to the PlayStation Blog to reveal the announcement trailer of the game for the PS4. According to CEO and founder Alexey Menshikov, "#killallzombies" is a third-person shooter game that has a very competitive and (bloodthirsty) sports activity: releasing zombies into the civilian world with the aim of sports and survival. And TV spectators are given the chance to vote on how many zombies they want to release to make it harder for the players in the game to survive.
What's even more interesting—apart from the possibility of battling against 1,000 zombies at a time—is that the grounds of the arena can easily change the gameplay and landscape. Players can land in traps or spawn new weapons or obstacles. It's a changing dynamic time and again.
While the image of "The Hunger Games" does come to mind, this arena-battle game also brings in the idea of social interactivity, as it makes use of what Twitch Plays Pokemon has experimented on before—the idea of live broadcasting of a game's progress and having them participate to affect the gameplay.
One of the ways by which spectators can do this is voting for every 80 seconds in the game, whether they spawn zombies or timed bonuses. There's even a chance to change the angle of the camera to make it even harder for the player's survival, especially if the spectator is feeling a wee bit evil.
Menshikov said that the expected release date timeframe is sometime next month, but there are no official dates or details yet for now.
Read more gaming and tech news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Update Roundup: HTC, Google, LG, Motorola, Xolo, OnePlus, Samsung And Sony Upgrade Plans
- Sony Teases PS4 2.0 System Software Update As Sony Xperia Z2 And Z2 Tablet Get Remote Play
- ‘GTA V’ 1.18 Update: Heists, Zombies, Hydra Jets DLC Seemingly Possible
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire’ Updates; PokeNav And Pokemon Halloween Detailed
- ‘Destiny’ ‘The Dark Below’ DLC: XP Boosters, New Armours Revealed, Atheon Fixes
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage