Kim Kardashian's Battle With Psoriasis, How to Fight It
By Afza Fathima | August 11, 2014 2:13 PM EST
Kim Kardashian was diagnosed with psoriasis on an episode of "Keeping up with the Kardashians" in 2011 because of complaints of red, flaky patches of skin.
Television personality Kim Kardashian attends the Vera Wang Spring/Summer 2012 collection show during New York Fashion Week September 13, 2011.
Psoriasis is a diseases caused because of the immune system attacking cells in the body, hence considered an autoimmune disease. The skin has red patches with silvery scales that appear to be raised. It can be a mild skin rash or a condition that can exist for a long period of time but will also subside with time. Statistics by the National Psoriasis Foundation show that about 7.5 million people in America are suffering from psoriasis.
Psoriasis can be treated by making changes in the diet. An outbreak can be triggered in patients with high stress, medication, smoking and alcohol.
Certain foods can help reduce the occurrence of an outbreak like apple cider vinegar, garlic, caviar, salmon and gluten free foods. Below are the ways these food items can be consumed to help in psoriasis.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar, either used directly on the skin or included in one's diet can help prevent psoriasis. It can be added to bath water or dabbed into the rashes itself. One can just drink a teaspoon, add it to water or mix it with honey to sweeten it.
Garlic has been used for centuries for its natural healing properties. In those suffering from cold, it acts as a natural antibiotic. And in the case of psoriasis, it is helpful as it helps in stopping the activity of enzymes that produce inflammation in the patients. This activity of stopping the enzymes is why garlic is called a lipoxygenase inhibitor.
Caviar and Salmon
Caviar, otherwise called fish eggs or roe, is rich in omega-3 fatty acids which can help cure many health issues including psoriasis. Seafood items are rich in omega-3 and so salmon too can help cure the skin condition. Salmon also had anti-inflammatory properties that helps reduce the inflammation and carotenoid in the fish acts like an antioxidant.
Avoiding gluten, which is a protein that is found in wheat, can help reduce psoriasis. Breads and pastas are rich in gluten and have to be given up to lessen the number of psoriasis symptoms and outbreaks.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- New String Of Ebola In The Democratic Republic Of The Congo; DFAT Advises Against Travel
- Sex Change Surgery Gets Enhanced Cover From US Insurance Firms: Obama Regime's Policy Change Became The Trigger
- Chilling: Ebola Spreads Through Sneeze and Cough Droplets And Toilet Seats
- Red Cross Aussie Nurse Says Australia’s Ebola Visa Ban Is Embarrassing
- From 30-Inch To 16-Inch Waistline, Woman Shrinks Self With Corset [Video]
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy