4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 on Release Date Confirmed as Apple Supplier Reports of Rising Earnings
By Erik Pineda | August 11, 2014 12:09 PM EST
Apple has yet to confirm that the iPhone 6 on release date this 2014 will come in two screen variants - a 4.7-inch and a 5.5-inch - but thanks to solid indicators coming from Asia it appears more likely that the next iPhone will show off in supersized display panel soon.
Lewi Hussey via ConceptsiPhone
iPhone 6 Concept Image by Lewi Hussey
The latest clue, according to Patently Apple, can be gleaned from the recent report issued by Taiwan-based Catcher Technology, which specializes in the manufacturer of high-end chassis used for laptops and mobile devices.
It was reported earlier this year that the Asian supplier has secured a huge contract from Apple that will see the former delivering the casings that will house the two iPhone models planned for global rollout in the second half of 2014.
This was confirmed by a DigiTimes article that saw print last week. "Catcher entered the supply chain of the iPhone in 2014 and acquired about 30 per cent of the chassis orders," the Taiwanese publication said.
It is understood that the remaining part of the contract was given to Hon Hai Precision, which owns and operates Foxconn, a major Apple manufacturing partner.
On the strength of Catcher's partnership with the iPhone maker, the former revealed its highest earnings so far, registering more than $154 million by the end of July 2014. And such will be the trend for Catcher in the closing months of the year and up to the early parts of 2015.
Per Patently Apple, growth will continue to characterize Catcher's efforts in the next few quarters mostly because of its collaboration with Apple - meaning the contractor will be part of the iPhone 6 supply chain for a stretch of periods to come.
Specifically, Catcher is expected to supply a big bulk of the chassis for the next iPhone, working on the two models - the 4.7-inch and the 5.5-inch, which somehow confirmed that the device will make a landfall in two screen sizes.
Another proof that Apple has opted to upsize from the 4-inch iPhone 5S are the fresh images that 9to5Google has picked up from AppleClub - a Chinese-language site operating from Taiwan.
The pictures showed and somehow proved that the 5S screen is destined to be overwhelmed by its successor. The iPhone 6, the report said, will come out of the box sporting a display panel that will dwarf over its predecessor.
It could be that buyers will be first served with the 4.7-inch edition that latest reports will get introduced on September 9 and will be made available a few weeks (or days) following the Apple press event.
Then the release date for the phablet-size 5.5-inch iPhone will soon follow suit, which according to analysts will happen between December 2014 and January 2015, likely coinciding with that of Apple's first iOS-powered wearable device - the iWatch.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance