5 Food Trends That Happened in 2014
By Vanessa Doctor | August 11, 2014 11:13 AM EST
In 2014, several unique food trends surfaced -- with some leaving very good impressions. At exhibits and trade shows, people will find a variety of new products and out-of-the-box culinary creations. Some of these look like they have been mastered through the years with recipes passed on the adjusted to suit the times.
Tomato juice is seen in this undated handout photo
Here are five that made a mark. Have you tried any of them?
1. Hybrid food
The idea of combining two or more types of food is a hit among many worldwide. This so-called hybrid food usually involve pastries, although others tend to be more creative. Examples are cronuts, which are a combination of croissants and donuts, and cragels, which are a combination of croissants and bagels. The Yo'clair is another beautiful creation which features yogurt in an éclair casing. Also, a quirky hybrid fad is the ramen burger, which merges the classic burger with noodles in replacement of the bun.
2. Wiki Cell
This year also gave birth to edible casings, where different types of food and drinks can be placed in, such as ice cream, yogurt, cheese and soda. The case is thin but does not melt when touched. Foodies generally have to bite and chew the Wiki Cell to eat it and eat through it.
3. Flavoured water
A number of companies introduced bottled water variety that came in unique flavours, like lemon, orange, strawberry, apple, and many more. The taste is almost pure, except that you will notice the slight hint of the flavour. Some of the drinks also contain caffeine and electrolytes to provide consumers with the needed energy and focus to get through the day, as marketed.
4. Mochi balls
Mochi is a sweet treat that features flavoured ice cream wrapped inside a chewy rice dough. People can eat it by hand. The trend spread very quickly just like how bubble milk tea became so popular a few years ago. While the concept of Mochi balls isn't really new, the fad spread to major levels in 2014 that so many small brands are jumping into the wagon and delivering different varieties of a dessert classic.
5. Cleansing juices
Many small businesses making and serving fresh juices caught up with the growing trend of staying fit and healthy. People found "juicing" very beneficial in getting rid of toxins in the body, as well as consuming fewer calories without having to feel hungry. Organic cold pressed juices are prepared from various vegetables and fruits and are then contained in bottles. The products are delivered daily to customers. People can also choose the mix of products they wish to consume based on their diet requirements. Some providers of juices have gone so far as creating meal plans for their customers who wish to lose weight while on the juicing program.
Some of these food trends moved on to become a part of the daily lifestyle, such as cleansing juices. Others became influences for new creations that consumers can continue to enjoy.
What food trend made the most impact on you this year? Let us know in the comments!
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Justin Bieber Strips for Fashion Week, Flashes Six Pack Abs: His Diet and Workout Secrets
- Kim Kardashian's Pregnancy Glow Returns; Rumour Mill Suggests That Kim Is Pregnant
- Research Finds African Americans and Caribbean Blacks Experiencing Discrimination are at a Greater Risk for Mental Disorders
- Joan Rivers May Have Died From Propofol Like Michael Jackson
- Prince Harry Turns 30 And Inherits $16 Million: Cancels Birthday Bash Due To Morning Sickness Of His Sister-in-Law Kate Middleton
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers