5 Food Trends That Happened in 2014
By Vanessa Doctor | August 11, 2014 11:13 AM EST
In 2014, several unique food trends surfaced -- with some leaving very good impressions. At exhibits and trade shows, people will find a variety of new products and out-of-the-box culinary creations. Some of these look like they have been mastered through the years with recipes passed on the adjusted to suit the times.
Tomato juice is seen in this undated handout photo
Here are five that made a mark. Have you tried any of them?
1. Hybrid food
The idea of combining two or more types of food is a hit among many worldwide. This so-called hybrid food usually involve pastries, although others tend to be more creative. Examples are cronuts, which are a combination of croissants and donuts, and cragels, which are a combination of croissants and bagels. The Yo'clair is another beautiful creation which features yogurt in an éclair casing. Also, a quirky hybrid fad is the ramen burger, which merges the classic burger with noodles in replacement of the bun.
2. Wiki Cell
This year also gave birth to edible casings, where different types of food and drinks can be placed in, such as ice cream, yogurt, cheese and soda. The case is thin but does not melt when touched. Foodies generally have to bite and chew the Wiki Cell to eat it and eat through it.
3. Flavoured water
A number of companies introduced bottled water variety that came in unique flavours, like lemon, orange, strawberry, apple, and many more. The taste is almost pure, except that you will notice the slight hint of the flavour. Some of the drinks also contain caffeine and electrolytes to provide consumers with the needed energy and focus to get through the day, as marketed.
4. Mochi balls
Mochi is a sweet treat that features flavoured ice cream wrapped inside a chewy rice dough. People can eat it by hand. The trend spread very quickly just like how bubble milk tea became so popular a few years ago. While the concept of Mochi balls isn't really new, the fad spread to major levels in 2014 that so many small brands are jumping into the wagon and delivering different varieties of a dessert classic.
5. Cleansing juices
Many small businesses making and serving fresh juices caught up with the growing trend of staying fit and healthy. People found "juicing" very beneficial in getting rid of toxins in the body, as well as consuming fewer calories without having to feel hungry. Organic cold pressed juices are prepared from various vegetables and fruits and are then contained in bottles. The products are delivered daily to customers. People can also choose the mix of products they wish to consume based on their diet requirements. Some providers of juices have gone so far as creating meal plans for their customers who wish to lose weight while on the juicing program.
Some of these food trends moved on to become a part of the daily lifestyle, such as cleansing juices. Others became influences for new creations that consumers can continue to enjoy.
What food trend made the most impact on you this year? Let us know in the comments!
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports