2014 Rogers Cup Final: Jo-Wilfried Tsonga vs. Roger Federer Live Streaming Info and Preview
By James Patrick Quizon | August 10, 2014 10:52 PM EST
With the favourites falling by the wayside, Roger Federer (Switzerland) is one of the top seeds left to battle it out for the 2014 Rogers Cup title in Toronto, Canada. Opposite him in the championship round is 13th seed Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (France), who delivered three consecutive upset victories in the quarterfinals and semifinals for the right to take on the former world number one.
Aug 9, 2014; Toronto, Ontario, Canada; Roger Federer (SUI) returns a shot against Feliciano Lopez (ESP) on day six of the Rogers Cup tennis tournament at Rexall Centre. Federer won 6-3 6-4.
Courtesy of excellent play from the Tsonga, top seed Novak Djokovic (Serbia) was booted out in the Round of 16 (6-2, 6-2) and eighth seed Andy Murray (Great Britain) was eliminated in the quarterfinals (7-6 (5), 4-6, 6-4) The Frenchman then took care of rising star in Bulgaria’s Grigor Dimitrov in the semifinals (6-4, 6-3)
Meanwhile, Federer played true to form as the second seed beating the likes of fifth seed David Ferrer (Spain), 6-3, 4-6, 6-3 in the quarters and Feliciano Lopez (Spain), 6-3, 6-4 in the semifinals.
Federer has dominated Tsonga in head-to-head matches winning 11 of 15 meetings in their career.
Federer vs. Tsonga Last 5 Meetings (Federer leads Tsonga, 3-2)
Federer def. Tsonga, 2-6, 7-6 (6), 6-1 (2014 ATP World Tour Masters Monte Carlo Quarterfinals)
Federer def. Tsonga, 6-3, 7-5, 6-4 (2014 Australian Open Round of 16)
Tsonga def. Federer, 7-5, 6-3, 6-3 (2014 French Open Quarterfinals)
Federer def. Tsonga, 7-6 (4), 4-6, 7-6 (4), 3-6, 6-3 (2014 Australian Open Quarterfinals)
Tsonga def. Federer, walkover (2014 Qatar Open Semifinals)
Federer has already won two Rogers Cup title in the past but that way back in 2004 and 2006 while Tsonga is aiming for his first ever title in the ATP 1000 tournament in Toronto after reaching the semifinals in 2009 and 2011.
Tsonga is confident of his chances against Federer too.
"I'm feeling good. I have been waiting for this moment for a couple of years now,” declared Tsonga via the ATP’s official Web site. "It's good because I have always believed in myself during all these years. It will for sure make me stronger and keep my motivation at the highest level."
As expected, Federer is favoured in the betting lines as the Swiss is priced at 1.38 to win the match as compared to Tsonga’s 2.87. Federer is also pegged at -2.5 games in the game handicap betting odds.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Novak Djokovic Stars In A New Commercial For Gerble Sans Gluten et Sans Souci
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design