Amir Khan Claims a Fight With Pacquiao Would be a Tougher Contest Than Mayweather
By Rachelle Corpuz | August 8, 2014 3:41 PM EST
Amir Khan has previously expressed his interest of fighting Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather. However, the British boxer confessed that a fight with Pacquiao would be a tougher contest than a bout with the undefeated American boxer.
Amir Khan (R) of Britain knocks down Luis Collazo of the U.S. during their welterweight fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, May 3, 2014. REUTERS/Steve Marcus
Speaking to The Guardian, Khan said that both Pacquiao and Mayweather present an equally difficult bout, but in terms of physical aspect, he thinks that the eight-division Filipino world champion would be a tougher opponent. "I think Manny would be harder," said Khan. "He's much more aggressive and it would be more intense," Khan added.
According to Khan, a bout against Mayweather is more like mentally tough rather than a physical affair. "Mayweather would be a very technical fight, like a game of chess."
Khan is still aching to get a shot at Mayweather's unbeaten record but he has also been trying to land a fight with Pacquiao. When the rematch between Mayweather and Maidana was set, Khan had been eyeing on a potential clash with Pacquiao in November until the Filipino boxer announced that he will fight Chris Algieri instead.
However, Khan is reportedly poised that he will get to face Pacquiao eventually. "The Manny fight can still happen at some point." Khan said that his promoter, Golden Boy, is expected to have some discussions with Pacquiao's promoter, Bob Arum. He said that a Khan vs. Pacquiao fight would be a great treat for boxing fanatics and that he had left the arbitration to his team and his adviser Al Haymon.
Khan has a three-fight winning streak since 2012. He last fought Luis Collazo and came off in dominating win to snag the World Boxing Council (WBC) and World Boxing Association (WBA) International Welterweight titles at the MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on May 3, 2014.
MORE ARTICLES TO READ:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar