West Ham Midfielder Ravel Morrison Arrested for Threatening to Throw Acid on Ex’s Face
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | August 8, 2014 2:09 PM EST
West Ham United midfielder Ravel Morrison was arrested after he had been accused of throwing acid to his former girlfriend's face. The 21-year-old former Manchester United footballer allegedly threatened to kill Reah Mansoor, his former love interest, as well.
A replica of a Adidas Brazuca soccer ball, the official ball used during the 2014 World Cup final match between Germany and Argentina, is displayed at the Maracana stadium in Rio de Janeiro in this July 12, 2014 file photo. Adidas, the world's second-biggest sportswear firm, cut its margin targets for 2014 on August 7, 2014, a week after it issued a profit warning, blaming poor performance at its golf business and volatile emerging market currencies.
The allegations were brought against Morrison at Manchester Magistrates' Court on Thursday, Aug 7 as the Premiere League player was accused of one offence after another. Morrison apparently threatened to blow up Mansoor's house while his harassment against her allegedly lasted for four years. Morrison was arrested at first. He was then charged with two counts of common assault as he allegedly slapped and punched the 19-year-old girl and her 39-year-old mother Parveen as well. The allegedly incident took place on July 27 in Salford.
Morrison, who appeared before the court, opened his mouth only when he was asked to confirm his basic details like name, address and age. He sat quietly for a brief hearing while the common assault charges were added with harassment charges. Morrison was accused of causing fear violence to his the then girlfriend during January 2010 - July 2014. The harassment charges included another threat to throw acid on Mansoor's face.
David Fish QC, who represented Morrison, gave an indication that his client would plead not guilty to all the charges. Morrison was given bail by district judge Khalid Qureshi as he was asked to appear at the court on Aug 28 for a preliminary hearing. During his bail period, Morrison has been instructed not to contact, indirectly or directly, Mansoor and her mother. He has also been instructed not to go to the street they live by.
The young footballer, who played for England at under-16, under-17, under-18 and under-21 level, has also been instructed not to enter the Greater Manchester area unless it was for meeting his lawyers, appearing at court or playing for West Ham. He has been asked to get back to London as soon as the game is over.
Contact the writer: s.mukhopadhyay@IBTimes.com.au
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?