From Bust to Batterer: Greg Oden Arrested for Assaulting Ex-Girlfriend
By James Patrick Quizon | August 8, 2014 1:08 PM EST
Greg Oden is known as one of the draft busts in the history of the league. On Thursday, he added another to his infamy list after being arrested and jailed for battery charges after supposedly beating up a former girlfriend.
Oden was released the same day after paying a $10,000 bond. The incident happened in Lawrence, Indianapolis where Oden attended high school.
Oden, who last played in the NBA with the Miami Heat, admitted that “things got out of control” after an argument with his ex-girlfriend on Thursday.
With information from the actual police report on the incident, an ESPN article stated that “officers were called to the home at around 3:30 a.m. and found a 24-year-old woman on a sofa with a swollen, bloody face.”
Just at 26-years-old, the Heat gave him a chance in the 2013-2014 season but saw limited playing time for a squad that lacked legit big men. He was the top pick in the 2007 NBA Draft by the Portland Trail Blazers but it never panned out for the team or the player, who was troubled by knee injuries all throughout his basketball career.
"It would be inappropriate to comment at such an early stage of this case. The court will schedule a hearing and we will allow that process to play out," said James Bell, Oden’s lawyer via the same article.
This is not the first time Oden has been involved in an off-court controversy. In 2010, when he was out for the season for a fractured kneecap, he admitted of photos that showed his private parts that made the rounds in the internet. He later apologized for the embarrassing incident saying the pictures were sent years before to a former girlfriend.
Oden averaged 2.9 points and 6.2 rebounds in 23 games for the Heat last year and has drawn little interest in free agency in the 2014 offseason.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS