From Bust to Batterer: Greg Oden Arrested for Assaulting Ex-Girlfriend
By James Patrick Quizon | August 8, 2014 1:08 PM EST
Greg Oden is known as one of the draft busts in the history of the league. On Thursday, he added another to his infamy list after being arrested and jailed for battery charges after supposedly beating up a former girlfriend.
Oden was released the same day after paying a $10,000 bond. The incident happened in Lawrence, Indianapolis where Oden attended high school.
Oden, who last played in the NBA with the Miami Heat, admitted that “things got out of control” after an argument with his ex-girlfriend on Thursday.
With information from the actual police report on the incident, an ESPN article stated that “officers were called to the home at around 3:30 a.m. and found a 24-year-old woman on a sofa with a swollen, bloody face.”
Just at 26-years-old, the Heat gave him a chance in the 2013-2014 season but saw limited playing time for a squad that lacked legit big men. He was the top pick in the 2007 NBA Draft by the Portland Trail Blazers but it never panned out for the team or the player, who was troubled by knee injuries all throughout his basketball career.
"It would be inappropriate to comment at such an early stage of this case. The court will schedule a hearing and we will allow that process to play out," said James Bell, Oden’s lawyer via the same article.
This is not the first time Oden has been involved in an off-court controversy. In 2010, when he was out for the season for a fractured kneecap, he admitted of photos that showed his private parts that made the rounds in the internet. He later apologized for the embarrassing incident saying the pictures were sent years before to a former girlfriend.
Oden averaged 2.9 points and 6.2 rebounds in 23 games for the Heat last year and has drawn little interest in free agency in the 2014 offseason.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination