From Bust to Batterer: Greg Oden Arrested for Assaulting Ex-Girlfriend
By James Patrick Quizon | August 8, 2014 1:08 PM EST
Greg Oden is known as one of the draft busts in the history of the league. On Thursday, he added another to his infamy list after being arrested and jailed for battery charges after supposedly beating up a former girlfriend.
Oden was released the same day after paying a $10,000 bond. The incident happened in Lawrence, Indianapolis where Oden attended high school.
Oden, who last played in the NBA with the Miami Heat, admitted that “things got out of control” after an argument with his ex-girlfriend on Thursday.
With information from the actual police report on the incident, an ESPN article stated that “officers were called to the home at around 3:30 a.m. and found a 24-year-old woman on a sofa with a swollen, bloody face.”
Just at 26-years-old, the Heat gave him a chance in the 2013-2014 season but saw limited playing time for a squad that lacked legit big men. He was the top pick in the 2007 NBA Draft by the Portland Trail Blazers but it never panned out for the team or the player, who was troubled by knee injuries all throughout his basketball career.
"It would be inappropriate to comment at such an early stage of this case. The court will schedule a hearing and we will allow that process to play out," said James Bell, Oden’s lawyer via the same article.
This is not the first time Oden has been involved in an off-court controversy. In 2010, when he was out for the season for a fractured kneecap, he admitted of photos that showed his private parts that made the rounds in the internet. He later apologized for the embarrassing incident saying the pictures were sent years before to a former girlfriend.
Oden averaged 2.9 points and 6.2 rebounds in 23 games for the Heat last year and has drawn little interest in free agency in the 2014 offseason.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks
- New Zealand Assured China-Australia Deal Will Not Affect Demand
- Canada's Ontario Students Score High Rank In Global Survey Of Computer Skills